• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping a heatsink with toothpaste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thexassassin

Registered
Would it work? im just going to try to lap a old stock amd hsf just for the hell of it.. see if it will work

It might, but I don't see the point. Do you plan on just using toothpaste, or toothpaste and sandpaper. If you use sandpaper, I would just stick with water and a drop of dish soap. Either way, try it out and let us know if it works.

Might do.
Some toothpaste is quite gritty.

You should try "Swarfega" I think that's how you spell it's what mechanics use to get oil and grease off their hands. It's also very very gritty.

baltoos said:
Most toothpastes contain a fine abrasive which helps polish your teeth.
It might help yoo get a finer finish on the heatsink.
Plus your CPU will probably never get cavities!! :D :D :D :D
-Dave

lol :p

hm.. might be interesting to try.
the other products made for polish usually do more bad then good.
it all depends on how easily that toothpaste comes off the heatsink and if it fills in the micro pores in the sink.

Your arm will fall off and your teeth will fall out long before toothpaste makes even a mark on your heatsink.
If you are interested in doing a superior lapping job look for Clover lapping compounds.
Not too expensive and designed for the job you want to do.

Back