• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping a new Thermalright AX-7??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vtec96

Just got my new Thermalright AX-7 heatsink!!!! I was looking closely at the copper bottom and it seems pretty smooth, but has some circular lines from the processing...This thing seems very high quality!!

My question is does it need to be lapped? Will it make better contact than if its not? I will be using Arctic Silver III also....Thanks :D

f155mph

Can you feel the groove with your finger nails? If so you should lap it. Start with 600 and wet sand it. I like to put the whole thing in the sink, that sand paper last longer and don't gum up as much.

OP
vtec96

vtec96

Yea definately feel the groves but they are very small and in a circular fashion.... So then I should get some 600 grit sandpaper and sand-away? Do i need to go higher, or just stay with 600?

repo man11

Most of the people here favor going to 800. Some here go to 1000, others feel it is a waste of time to go above 800. As F155 said, wetsanding is the way to go. I have a piece of glass that fits over my sink, and I run water over it. I lay the sandpaper flat, and use a figure 8 motion.

custoswashere

Registered
yeah I would lap it. Mine was the same way. There was a thread in here earlier bout the finish of the AX-7. Some poeple are getting smooth ones while others like yourself and me are getting a shiney surface but huge swirl marks that are deep enough to feel. I lapped mine to a near mirror finish and seems to be doing very very well on my computer. Was sitting at 36 idle and 38 load but then started to use the HALT command thingy with WPCREDIT and WPSET and brought the idle down to 25/26 and load stayed the same of course.

Mike

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
that thing is going on a p3 500? lapping should be ok, i mean
why not? :p

OP
vtec96

vtec96

Starfox said:
that thing is going on a p3 500? lapping should be ok, i mean
why not? :p
hehe..no not for the PIII, This is for my NEW system I am now putting together... 1.4T-bird.. Abit board...
Thanks for all the advise I will get some sandpaper tomorrow and go 600, then 800, Then apply the arctic silver.....Sounds Good....

BTY, custoswashere, what is that HALT thing your talking about?

Lt. Max

u shoulve gotthen the 1600+ instead of the 1.4 tbird.. very few bucks diff, but also a heat output diff which will help u oc more. correct me if im wrong. 72 watts for tbird, 63 for xp. 10 dollars diff,

res0r9lm

Lt. Max said:
u shoulve gotthen the 1600+ instead of the 1.4 tbird.. very few bucks diff, but also a heat output diff which will help u oc more. correct me if im wrong. 72 watts for tbird, 63 for xp. 10 dollars diff,
yea that was a mistake but for another $5 you could get a 1700+ over 1600+ and a 1800+ is another $10 before you know it you have just bought a 1900+ for 130 bucks

OP
vtec96

vtec96

Lt. Max said:
Your absolutely right.....HOWEVER...I got my T-bird FREE from a drawing at the AMD XP Tech Tour Computer Show (weird they were introducing XP, but were only having drawings for T-birds) ... Cant complain since this was the biggest CPU that they gave away that night :D .....
But yea if i were to buy one I definately would have grabbed a XP 1700+ or so....Thanks.....:beer:

custoswashere

Registered
HALT command, from what I've read, is a command or set of protocols in the CPU and chipset/BIOS, that tell the CPU to shut off the parts it is not using, hence, lowering the temp. Once artical said that this is why the pentium 4 has such huge differences between the idle and load temps. I don't know abou that since I haven't read any reviews or articles on the pentium 4, AMD ALL THE WAY!!! Anyhow, on a link of the link below it mentioned that AMD/VIA had been working on this along time and had trouble here and there and left the HALT stuff disabled since they started putting it in the chips, circa Penitum Pro. So far, the article mentions the KT133/A and the KT266/A chip set and how to, using software, turn these protocols active. I will admit, i never really believed in this software cooling crap. I thought it was the white elephant myth but since I've used it I've been spreading the word. Anything that can drop the temp before my own eyes over 10 degrees in a matter of minutes has my COMPLETE ATTENTION.
The one draw back that you will hear from others, like myself, is that for some unknown reason, when activated on some systems, a very low volume, high pitch sound will come from the motherboard or powersupply. There is just speculation on where it comes from or what causes it. On my pc it only makes that sound when the sound is being used, MPS, Unreal, etc.

Here's the link where I found most of the information, give it a try. The best part is, that it is complately reversible with a reboot, no damage from all the reports that I have read. The links below has over 10 pages of happy people on it and no perm. problems.

http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90112

good luck, it really works.