• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping CPU...........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

burn'em

Registered
I have a P4 1.5 I took off the HS and noticed some high spots on the cpu. It scratched the hs, plus the cpu code seems to be stamp in I can feel it. My concern is that there is a hole in the cpu. (I read in a post this is to let gas out during manufacturing) Do I have to worry about getting anything in this hole. Can I use alcohol to clean it out? Is lapping the cpu a bad thing?

umm, be warry, Slake killed his celeron that way. Don't know about the cpu.

I enjoy hearing people talk about how they ruined there cpu and wish they hadn't done what they did. I'v read too many horror stories about lapping your cpu die. One slip......and it's all over. Personaly I wouldn't try it......unless the cpu wasn't mine....then I'd lap it just to see how far I can go before it looks broken. If you got a dead chip to practice on then maybe you would have an idea of just how far you can go.

If you can afford to buy another one, have at it! Lapping the CPU does not have a really good success rate, but does have results if done right. I have never tried it. This hole thing sounds like the guy who jokingly (I hope) claims computers run on smoke. I have never seen a P4 to know if there is a hole, but my Tbird does not have one that I know of.

What about the hole? Doesn't anyone know how thick the metal cap is on a cpu?
Maybe I should wait till the 2.0ghz come out I hate replacing parts without upgrading.

The hole is for exactly what was stated in the original post. To let out expanding gases during production. Getting something in the whole won't effect anything. The hole has already done it's job. If it is needed to expand gases while in the motherboard, don't worry, it has gotten WAY to hot and you'll be replacing it anyways.

well nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm going to give it a couple strokes across the 400 grit and see what it looks like. Just need to knock a few high spots down. I'm going to plug that hole so the smoke don't come out. LOL

compuwife (Jul 05, 2001 03:44 p.m.):
I lapped my celeron with success...if the cpu & hs aren't connecting properly, don't you have almost as good a chance at wrecking your cpu anyways?

kind of, it depends how bad the contact is between them though. Probably the hsf that is causing the problem though.

William (Jul 05, 2001 07:14 p.m.):
compuwife (Jul 05, 2001 03:44 p.m.):
I lapped my celeron with success...if the cpu & hs aren't connecting properly, don't you have almost as good a chance at wrecking your cpu anyways?

kind of, it depends how bad the contact is between them though. Probably the hsf that is causing the problem though.

The hs is a MC426 it looks good except for the scratches from the cpu.

Back