• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping my Volcano II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I was just informed that maybe I should Lapp my Volcano II. Does any body have any suggestions on how I should do this? Should I use a fine-grit (600) wet paper, or should I try to dry sand it? What type of sanding block should I use, if any? Should I use thermal compound after I'm done?

I like to take what Jeff’s article says and also use 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit. Then a rinse and dry followed by a final polish with a fresh sheet of 2000 grit using Artic Silver for the lube. Then wipe, rinse, air dry, apply Artic Silver to your CPU and install. The final lap with Artic Silver dropped my FOP32s temps 2 C.

Thanks, Colin, I like that idea very much about doing the final lap with the Arctic Silver. I'm definitely going to try that.

And I wanted also to mention to Oni (and anyone else) not to bother looking for those grits in a hardware store. On the advice of another post in this fine forum, I found 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry paper at my friendly local Discount Auto store: $2.99@ for five sheets. Thank goodness car people are just as nuts about polishing metal as we are.

DennisC (Apr 05, 2001 08:45 p.m.):
Thanks, Colin, I like that idea very much about doing the final lap with the Arctic Silver. I'm definitely going to try that.

Don't thank me. Nevin gave me the idea.

Back