• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lapping paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mord-Sith

Hey I've seen some people mention lapping paste, or even using crest toothpaste. How use lapping paste? I would assume you would just put some on a flat surface "glass" and rub your HS or what ever you lapping over it. Please explain.

Thank you.

You got it. Put it on a flat surfice and give it a good rub down. I used polishing compound and removed it after with paint thiner. I use artic silver for the final rub down.

Just the title of this thread was enough to get me exited. Thanks Door Knob, it's nice to know someone is listening!

Get a fresh sheet of 2000 grit and use Artic Silver as the lube.

I've read a lot on this forum regarding lapping etc, but never tried it.From the good results that many have got from lapping it's tempting me to give it a try.
PIII 800E@900, pushed it to 1070 but not stable, so guess i'm going to give this lapping thingy a try.
regards

valve grinding/lapping paste is pretty coarse, I have used it for "rough" material removal, but have never gotten as good a finish as 600 W-o-D sandpaper will get you

Ok what kind/grit would you recommend. I'm using 200 grit then 600 grit then 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I'm also having a hard time finding a place to buy it. I've looked at some webpages but none of them let you order online. I'm going to start calling hoby shops today, hopefully I can get some locally.

Colin (May 09, 2001 12:42 a.m.):
Just the title of this thread was enough to get me exited. Thanks Door Knob, it's nice to know someone is listening!

Get a fresh sheet of 2000 grit and use Artic Silver as the lube.

when i first heard you post that, it was like a light bulb going off in my head. It just made so much sense. Having either lube oil or Artic Silver in the fine imperfections of a heatsink just made so much sense. I have begun to post this tip too, as it is one of he better ones I have heard in a while.

BlakeN (May 09, 2001 10:25 a.m.):
Ok what kind/grit would you recommend. I'm using 200 grit then 600 grit then 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I'm also having a hard time finding a place to buy it. I've looked at some webpages but none of them let you order online. I'm going to start calling hoby shops today, hopefully I can get some locally.

I recently lapped my waterblock using 2000 grit wet dry paper, got it at Advanced Auto, then used 3000 wet dry paper, got it at Sherwin Williams Paints. Talk about a mirror finish!

Back