• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping Stock prescott HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gonwee

Does anyone know if lapping the stock prescott heatsink will give me a noticible drop in temp?

OP
G

Gonwee

I'm talking about the prescott hsf with the copper plug thing in it.

syberspy9

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!

well it wont hurt and it will drop ur temps if you do a good job.
is it worth it??? NO you might as well but a sp94 for the prescot there so bypassing the swear filter is neither nice nor allowed; you'll hear more from me later -- macklin01 HOT
sould have got a C rather than that E (unless ur going H20)
if u wana spend the time then do it but never oc a presscot on stock cooling!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

Gonwee

On a cool day it does 3.2 fine but its just getting so hot this summer that it doesn't want to run cool enough at stock speed. I'd like to get a SP-94 but i don't have the money. would a side fan help much? i have a 80mm fan i can put there. And i don't want to lap the core thats to much for me. The price was 120 for this and a cruddy mobo so i got it and sold the board so the chip was only like 80 dollars.

syberspy9

before u cut a side hole for 80mm fan think about it!!!!!!!!!
do u have a nice case ??? do like it??? if so dont put an 80mm there because you will be running it and it will be a bit loud because small fans need to spin fast to move air.

if your going to cut a side hole for a fan go with a 92mm or the best of all 120mm
then you can controll it with a reostat and it will spin slow and move just as mutch air with less noise.

just stay away from 80mm.
i never knew better and look what i did
3 80mm on the side 2 rear 4 front ya my temps were great but after a month i ended up using 1 front 1 side the rest were unplugged

PS Advertising sales outside of the classifieds is strictly prohibited -- macklin01

Attachments

• SIDE 3 80MM BLUE LED COOL MASTER 2BALLBEARINGS.jpg
    SIDE 3 80MM BLUE LED COOL MASTER 2BALLBEARINGS.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:

Dcasole

Gonwee, I am here to tell you that putting a fan with a duct in the side of your case will drop your temps with a prescott(see my sig)

Intel recommends this mod (see my signature again :) ) but without the fan ( you need to use the duct)

Running stock FSB my Prescott ran at 58C to 60C at idle and 68C to 70C under a load and would always shut down.

I made the mod and now it runs at 42C at idle and does not go over 52 under a load using the stock HSF on air and is now overclocked to 3.59

Who said that you cannot overclock a prescott on air??? :burn:

I agree with syberspy9 as I used a 80mm fan and it is loud , try to use a 92 or a 120 if you can

Good Luck
Dave