• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping V7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheesy Peas

I need to lap my Volcano 7 because its been left standing a while and it looks a right mess ans is scratched to hell.... what grit paper should i use on it?
cheers guys!

Adamu

600 grit sandpaper should work well enough but if the base of the heatsink is scratched deeply you may want to start out with 400 grit and then move to 600.

With 600 grit sandpaper you should be able to get a fairly decent mirror finish. When the heatsink begins to glide across the paper very easily that's when it's becoming mirror-like. ;)

OP
Cheesy Peas

Cheesy Peas

right ok ive bought... waterproof 400,800 and 1000
do i need to wet it or anything before i start.. i heard soething about using washing up liquid?

Adamu

You should use some soap if the base of the heatsink is very rough and it is difficult to move across the sandpaper using only water.

When I lap something I cut out a section of sandpaper and get it completely wet. Then I throw some water on the counter in the bathroom, lay the paper on it, and start lapping. The water on the counter helps to hold the sandpaper in place. Most of the guides say to use something comepletely flat like a section of glass or a mirror, but my method has always worked well for me. If you're going to be lapping down to 1000 grit it may be better for you to use something completely smooth.

Also note that most of the temperature improvement comes from lapping to about 600 grit. Lapping to 1000 grit will make a small difference in temperatures over just 600 grit and will give you a very nice mirror finish.

OP
Cheesy Peas

Cheesy Peas

well ive done a test run on my fooked volcano 7 and its not exactly a mirror finish but its smooth and flat... how long should i work on it with each sheet?

OP
Cheesy Peas

Cheesy Peas

ive got a peice of glass lying around somewhere so ill do it on there and take my time with each sheet... do i have to do it in any certain directiono like round in circles?

I tried doing circles but i looked at the bottom and I could see the scratches on it but when i did it just in one direction it looked better...

Adamu

Yes, you need to do it in round circles. It may look better at first when you move it in one direction, but the end result is best with cirular motions. You should try to get it as smooth as possible with 400 grit, and then when you move to 800 grit don't stop until the entire bottom of the heatsink has a mirrored finish. Then you can move onto the 1000 grit paper if you want to. It may take you anywhere from 15-30 minutes on each sheet.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
Figure 8 patterns are the best, it causes a cross hatch pattern resulting in a flatter surface you could start with 200 grit and use a light oil with out any additives (a light motor oil works well)

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
200 will remove the scratches a lot faster than 400 and the Figure 8 patterns are more efficient than circles so you “could” cut you times in half if done with equal pressure (light) across the heat sink

OP
Cheesy Peas

Cheesy Peas

ok i did the 400 then went onto te 800 for about 10 mins... parts of it are mirrored but not all of it... do i just need to do if for longer?

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
That means one of two things:
1) The base is not flat (shinny in a circle like pattern) – just keep going till it is all shinny
2) Your holding it at an angle when lapping (shinny on one side)
A easy way to see it is use a marker and cover the bottom with ink and do some more figure 8’s this will also let you see when to stop