• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pouey

I've read a bunch of guides on lapping. Seen people do it, but now I'm curious. What methods do you guys use when you lap? Do you just do it the same way as the guide? How long do you spend doing it?

When I lapped my little green Northbridge heatsink and Celeron Heatsinks I used a piece of glass as the flat surface and worked my way from coarse to finer grade paper. I didn't use any water but I think that next time I will as it was a very messy and time consuming task. Took me about 2 hours to get them nice and shiny.

check this out....be wary though, anything above the 400, 600 grit is above and beyond what is required for attaining flat and smooth. this should be your goal, flat and smooth. how shiny it is comes after. imho. i have an ax-7 and i used a 400g for 15 minutes, a 600g for another 15 minutes and then 1500g for 15 minutes. the 1500g was not required cause i had already achieved my goal of......flat and smooth.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93701&highlight=nevin+lapping

Last edited:
Back