• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Cooling: Vaio PCG-8111L

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spirrwell

Registered
This is kind of basic, but I'm having heat issues with my Sony Vaio PCG-8111L. It's not horribly bad, but on idle the CPU temperature will be in the 50+ degrees range (C). When playing a game it at least automatically shoots up to the 70s, but this is by the time I get my temperature monitor open after closing a game, I'm assuming that the temperatures during a game are in the 80s. I know the fan is working because you can hear it "taking off" while playing a game.

The GPU is a little bit better as on idle it's in the 40s, but when you play a game it shoots up to the 70s as well, but it cools faster than the CPU which usually stays in the 70s for a while.

I opened it up, and the fan and all that appears to be very clean. I could put new thermal paste on it as I have some arctic silver. But what would be the best way to cool it down without messing with the performance of the laptop?

(On a side note, I would want to overclock it from 1.6 GHz to 2.0 GHz, is that possible or completely out of the question given the situation?)

Better than arctic silver 5? What do you suggest? Also, would putting in some copper shims on the CPU and GPU help some?

Well I did do a Google search and MX-4 is what came up, but I wasn't sure if I should go with something better suited to a laptop. I never really understood thermal paste all that well. But water cooling, fans, all that I understand just fine. Thank you though. If I can get my hands on it, I'll use it, but if not I'll try out the arctic silver to see what it does.

Back