• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop deals?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dermen

I am looking for a cheap laptop for school work only. So far the cheapest I found was a Compaq 2.4Ghz Celeron for $650 after rebates at bestbuy. If anybody knows of any better deals please post them.

Thanks

dead_man311

Dell usally runs some pertty good deals on the Inspiron 1100, and if you look online you can find coupons for more off. like $25 off a $500 purc. or $50 off $1000 Purc. and stuff like that ... That Compaq is also a really good deal

chuckerants

Should have waited in line with me at Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving.

I got a Toshiba Celeron 2.4 for $499 after rebate.

You might want to wait for Christmas to get closer for sales.

Papa_Legba

dead_man311 said:
Dell usally runs some pertty good deals on the Inspiron 1100, and if you look online you can find coupons for more off. like $25 off a $500 purc. or $50 off $1000 Purc. and stuff like that ... That Compaq is also a really good deal

The Best Buy by my house has this exact same notebook on sale for $500 after rebates (850 before) until 12/20/03. My friend and I purchased 3 of these on Black Friday so I was quite annoyed to see this deal open for all (and according to the salesguy, plenty in stock!). Worth a trip to your local BestBuy to scope it out. The model is Toshiba 2.4GHz Celeron, 14.1" TFT LCD, and 30 GB HDD. S-1292 is the model number.

shortyes

This deal is very rare. I bought a Centrino 1.4 with 256mb of ram, 40gb HDD, 32mb 9200 and DVD/CDR combo drive for 800 AR +Tax

The bonus for this computer is an external floppy drive free and free printer AR

Try to find a Compaq 1050us at your Local best Buy store. It might still have it since I bought mine on Saturday. It is not a deal that is advertised. Look for it or ask.

snvpa

Ha short yes I got the same deal. Its an awesome laptop too the battery life is great. And the widescreen is just a bonus.

OP
D

Dermen

I found the toshiba on bestbuy.com but they were out of stock and so was my local store. I ended up ordering an emachines 2.4 Celeron from Bestbuy.com for $600AR. I also ordered a lite-on 52x cd-rw for 19.99 AR. It should be a nice upgrade from a 4x. Thanks for your help.

Spacepiston

Papa_Legba said:

The Best Buy by my house has this exact same notebook on sale for $500 after rebates (850 before) until 12/20/03. My friend and I purchased 3 of these on Black Friday so I was quite annoyed to see this deal open for all (and according to the salesguy, plenty in stock!). Worth a trip to your local BestBuy to scope it out. The model is Toshiba 2.4GHz Celeron, 14.1" TFT LCD, and 30 GB HDD. S-1292 is the model number.

Well Best Buy's Online site is sold-out and no stores in Michigan have any in stock. So it does not appear they had quite so many.

No free printer like on black friday either.

Papa_Legba

Dermen said:
I found the toshiba on bestbuy.com but they were out of stock and so was my local store. I ended up ordering an emachines 2.4 Celeron from Bestbuy.com for $600AR. I also ordered a lite-on 52x cd-rw for 19.99 AR. It should be a nice upgrade from a 4x. Thanks for your help.

Sunday, I was at the Best Buy on the East Beltline/28th St and the guy told me they had some in stock then. But that was 3 days ago so.... But yeah, it was there, the deal was in effect, and I bet anything I coulda gotten a raincheck because it wasn't a special Black Friday deal but a normal sale...don't know how that shakes with rebates though, unless you order it and pay for it... Appears to be a moot issue for Dermen now, however.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Got my 2Ghz Tbred ECS desknote put together for about $500. It overclocks too. :p

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Refurbished ECS desknote A929 that I picked up at newegg for $299. Ordinarily they sell for about $600 barebones.

Newegg made the mistake of throwing in a 512mb stick of Corsair PC2100 for free.

I added an XP 2400+ for $75, and a 20GB 5400rpm HDD for $93. Installed Linux which is free.

Now all I need is to buy the external battery (as this is a desknote, not quite a laptop) for about $105.

So I guess my total will be closer to $600 once its fully built. It is useable as is so long as I plug it in of course.

other details- bios OC up to 150FSB, sis graphics with shared 64mb system ram (about the level of a GF2mx200). No PCMCIA. Has modem, lan, and sound onboard. Has 4x USB2.0 ports and 1 firewire port, CRT-out, S-video out, and standard speaker/mic jacks. This particular one has a DVD drive, though they also sell CDRW and combo drives. Its silver. 14" screen.