• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop graphics card dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deeppow

The nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M on my laptop has given up the ghost. nVidia has been no help. Any suggestions other than buy a replacement of some type?

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
If you can remove the GPU from the mainboard (sometimes the graphics card is on a separate board), you could try baking it to reflow the solder.
Have you also tried cleaning out any dust, re-applying TIM, or anything else?

OP
deeppow

deeppow

Took it out, cleaned it and all associated cooling, and reseated. Couldn't see any visual issues with the card. (Don't have TIM available but since the OS couldn't see it on restart I don't think that is a problem --- at least on startup.) Haven't tried heating it.

OP
deeppow

deeppow

It is a separate card that plugs in a raised connection from the motherboard.

BTW, the laptop-cpu has Intel graphics so I can limp along on that till I replace the laptop. Just would be nice to get the nVidia card fixed and running.

ATMINSIDE

I would see if you can find another of that laptop that is "for parts" or find one of the GPU out of it.

What's the make and model of the laptop?

OP
deeppow

deeppow

It is a PowerPro R 11:36-675 laptop which I think is a MSI-based laptop (unsure of that). CPU is i7-3610QM but I'm can't find info on the motherboard.

ATMINSIDE

Hmm, that'll make it more difficult to find parts for by the model number.
If you take it apart again could you take pictures of the front and back of the GPU PCB?

OP
deeppow

deeppow

Will do.

I did look around for a nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M and there are a few available on both Amazon and Ebay. But they aren't cheap, start at a couple hundred $s and are used. (I have no problem with used parts.)

ATMINSIDE

Ouch, couple hundred for a 670M sounds high... I'd just watch for a deal to come up on a "for parts" laptop with the right 670M for you.

OP
deeppow

deeppow

Last edited:

ATMINSIDE

Any time!

Like I mentioned though, it's very possible we could cross reference a GPU that'll work for you if you can get some pictures of it.

custom90gt

Sadly I've never baked one before, always used a heat gun (fixed a ton of nvidia gpus while working as a tech), but here is what I would do:
Take everything off of the card that you can
Cover the entire card in aluminum foil except for around the GPU
Bake at 385 for 8 minutes (seems to be what the google machine recommends)
Let cool for 10 mins, put back together and cross your fingers

OP
deeppow

deeppow

Sadly baking it didn't help. Appreciate the suggestions folks!

I'll watch for a used graphics card to replace this one but I'll limp along on the Intel cpu graphics for now.

custom90gt

well bummer, was hopeful

Thankfully it looks like any clevo/dell card should work in it. I'd do a little research on notebookreview, but maybe you could pick up a cheap 860m/960m and get a decent upgrade while you're at it?

ATMINSIDE

Pictures of the GPU since it's out? Might help to find out if the GPU is a proprietary PCB or not :)