• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nico3k

Hi. I am in the process of building a very small computer for car etc... I will be using the VIA EPIA 800 system (800mhz C3, everything onboard, lan, sound, video out...)
However, in the box i am using as a case, there is not enough room for a standard sized hard drive.

How would I go about connecting a Laptop hard drive to a regular IDE port and power supply...?

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
You would need a converter. Mind you, I'm not sure where to get them, however, but you can get them.

Try someplace like Newegg.com. They might have them.

OP
Nico3k

Nico3k

hmmm... checked there already... couldnt find anyting. Laptop harddrives ARE standard IDE drives arnt they?

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
Here is a converter.

http://cableclub.com/view_product.asp?item_no=99680

The 2.5" HDDs have the same basic 40 pins, but have a small separation with 4 more pins and some pains may have different configurations since it recieves power through the connector. The extra pins are the equivalent of the jumpers on IDE drives for setting slave/master/cable select. The unjumpered configuration is normally(I've never seen one that isn't.) cable select. Check the manufacturer's home page to verify the jumper settings.

flyingember

Registered
on a laptop hd pin one will always be noted. on the 2.5->3.5 converter pin one will always be noted.

hook together thus.

done

nebben

Yea, I second going to a local shop. I got mine at a local computer shop. Wasn't on the shelves, but one of those "made in taiwan" cheapo white box things. Very delicate, but works great. I can't even hear the drive turn on. Niiice.

-ben

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
The other advantages are that if it's a LAN box or portable, the drives are built to stand much higher operational and nonoperational shocks and the weight is minimal. Speeds are getting better too. 5400RPM drives are available currently with up to 8MB buffers and 7200RPM drives should be being released by the middle of next year.

nebben

They're also rather expensive too. I paid about $90 for a 20gb 4200rpm drive about a month ago. I couldn't even think what 20gb of 7200rpm would cost me in laptop size. It would be cool though.

-ben