• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Reliability Numbers Released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
Check out this article, it talks about laptop reliability based on brands:
http://gizmodo.com/5406415/laptop-reliability-study-asus-and-toshiba-come-out-on-top

I think its pretty interesting how close the numbers are. In fact, it does not seem like all that much of a difference. However, I think Asus is on top because the average consumer is not necessarily as familiar with Asus as heavy computer users like us. Chances are if you are buying an Asus laptop, you know a thing or two about how a computer works and how to avoid breaking it! Not sure if that plays a big role in the numbers, but I think it may be part of it.

Matt

madhatter256

Special Member
I don't know. Our store had a plague of Toshiba laptops with busted AC adaptor plugs, which rendered the laptop useless once the battery ran out of power. These were for laptops less than 3 years old.

Also, it depends on the model-line of laptop. Business class laptops tend to last longer than a low-end value laptop.

neonblingbling

I'm kind of surprised it seems Acers fail quite a bit, since I would probably categorize them with Asus. I guess there may be more Acer netbooks than Asus ones?

Then again, I would have though more Dells fail than Levonos...

I bet the only reason Sony's don't die is because people don't want to break the $$$$$ machines and baby them. :thup:

Bobnova

The only Acer i've worked with is pretty lousy, really. I'm not impressed.

muddocktor

Retired
Yeah, I saw the link to this posted on HardOCP earlier today and was a little surprised. I see that Apple is trailing Asus by almost 2% on the 3 year reliability and just barely ahead of Dell.:sly:

:santa:

Tyranos

I agree, I believe each brand gets a different type of consumer that treats them differently as a group. I have a feeling that Lenovo is up there only because people treat them like poop, since they're built like castles.... unless the big sellers from Lenovo are non Thinkpads.

Omsion

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/laptop-reliability-1109/
Thier report.

I don't know. Our store had a plague of Toshiba laptops with busted AC adaptor plugs, which rendered the laptop useless once the battery ran out of power. These were for laptops less than 3 years old.

Also, it depends on the model-line of laptop. Business class laptops tend to last longer than a low-end value laptop.
As always, the most important thing to consider when interpreting results is the methodology (perhaps most importantly, sampling). I note that they project 3-year rates off of observed 2-year rates, which I think is a safe enough assumption, though. Given their sample size of 30k, I don't think you can argue that their conclusions are a fluke.

BUT having said that - again, consider the sampling. Is the sample that Squaretrade draws from biased in any way? In this case, we can probably say yes, the sample is biased, since the market for third-party warranty service is likely not a representative subset of the overall laptop market. For instance, it's unlikely that business purchase warranties through Squaretrade - they're more likely to have service setups with their OEM. Perhaps they may tend to purchase different models of laptops than consumers that purchase 3rd party warranty service.

But even if the sample is biased towards consumer models, this is still strong evidence of relative reliability. I wouldn't think that a OEM would have a large enough difference between business models and consumer models to greatly upset their conclusions.

EDIT:
I agree, I believe each brand gets a different type of consumer that treats them differently as a group. I have a feeling that Lenovo is up there only because people treat them like poop, since they're built like castles.... unless the big sellers from Lenovo are non Thinkpads.
I don't think there is likely to be a large, systematic difference in consumer treatment of different brands.

EDIT2:
Something else that might bias the sample. Do people that tend to have stuff break on them buy more warranties? If so, the "real" numbers might be lower overall, but shouldn't affect relative performance. Oh yeah - SquareTrade isn't a completely neutral party either - they probably do want to sell more warranties. But assuming they're not lying about their methodology, this shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT3:
I wish more studies like this existed. Even further, I wish that the data is released :p
Damn academic in me acting up.

Last edited:

Mr.Guvernment

The only Acer i've worked with is pretty lousy, really. I'm not impressed.

Same handle a few, their battery life is never true, the 2 people i know had one, it claimed like 4-5 hours, but would be lucky to get 2, and after about a year both batteries had to be replaced.

they just feel cheaply built to me as well.

meionm

Not surprised to see hp being the worst. That's my observation as well.

I just comment something about Toshiba. Toshiba is ok but I noticed other issue with their laptops. It is not like they fail, they just deteriorate faster. Like keyboard becomes extremely soft, screen hinges loose tension, etc.

Last edited:

Vipersfate

The main thing with the Laptop AC Jacks is the abuse. People bend em, and break em. Toshiba's are a bit weak compared to other laptops, but the customers I see bring them in usually end up causing the problem themselves.

vgta88

hm wonder how long my acer will last, the keyboard is kind of cheap (thin but it's fine). so is the speaker( surround but not powerful). I just hope it's bad caps one day and nothing else.

as for battery, I heard keep them cool and leave at 40% charge while not in use. Don't keep cycling them. and leave em out while using ac if you can. I can get 4 hours out of a full charge 6 cell but thats like for typing. leaving it alone it says 4:40

the battery life is advertised for 3 hours. (i still can't combat bad quality with my fair treatment though)

imagine the horror when my dad trips over the ac cable and makes my laptop shutdown.

I've seen dell inspiron's with hard drive read errors into the 13000 s(avg?) in smart data. 4 years old only. no bad sectors so I think it was a firmware issue with WD or something else. they act up when it's not set on level surface.

Last edited:

VinnyTAMU

I wish they would include more details regarding what the hardware repairs were for. I would assume that the majority of hardware failures were due to the laptop's hard drive, therefor it might not be a factor of manufacturer reliability as much as it is about the reliability of the hard drive manufacturer.

UltraManiac

glade to see Asus is at the top. I have 2 asus laptops and love them to death. F8 leather series and the latest UL30A. The UL30A with wifi off does last 10 hours if you only doing home work on it.

I also have a 4 years old Toshiba Satellite L25 laptop and I have abused that laptop more than anything I have owned and it is still working fine.

Vipersfate

glade to see Asus is at the top. I have 2 asus laptops and love them to death. F8 leather series and the latest UL30A. The UL30A with wifi off does last 10 hours if you only doing home work on it.

I also have a 4 years old Toshiba Satellite L25 laptop and I have abused that laptop more than anything I have owned and it is still working fine.

There are some Toshiba laptops that don't actually have the jack soldered to the motherboard, which is a godsend. Most of those that break, are as simple to fix as putting a bit of JBweld on it, and you're good to go for a while.

I send about 3-4 laptops a month out for repair because of AC Jacks. It sucks.

Best AC jack in the world is the Macbooks. I've never seen one broken. And I wish other manufacturers could do it.

RtnlSltn

Strange, I've had 2 HP's over the years, 1 of them is 4 years old, still trucking great. The battery is just starting to hold a ****ty charge. Sure it's got loosened screen hinges, but the screen holds itself fine. Only ****ty thing is, the touchpad begins to fail once it gets warm after 30 minutes or so. Keys still have their letters though :p.

Also, not at all surprised Lenovo commented on it disagreeing. Smart decision for their PR group.

UltraManiac

There are some Toshiba laptops that don't actually have the jack soldered to the motherboard, which is a godsend. Most of those that break, are as simple to fix as putting a bit of JBweld on it, and you're good to go for a while.

I send about 3-4 laptops a month out for repair because of AC Jacks. It sucks.

Best AC jack in the world is the Macbooks. I've never seen one broken. And I wish other manufacturers could do it.

The AC jack on my Toshiba is still solid. but ya, its asking for trouble when the jack is not soldered to the mobo.

Don't the newer macbooks use these magmatic thingy to connect the power? Love them, I wish Asus will start doing it too.

just to add. My toshiba was not staple after I upgraded the cpu and overclocked it but now it is staple again with its original CPU. :eek:

skou

Guys, I'm still a fan of my pre-Lenovo Thinkpad! My T2* stuff is still capable, even though it is only a P3.

When I hear about power socket failure I'm still in shock. The T2* stuff has a very easily replacable socket, but I've NEVER seen one go bad. They are NOT soldered to the motherboard, or even to the backplane, where they are mounted. It is bolted to the backplane, and plugs into the mobo, and if it needs to be changed, can be in about 2 minutes. You'd literally have to knock the socket in about 3/4 of an inch, to do any damage, and just dropping it with the cord plugged in, won't do that.

No the old T20-23 stuff won't game, and isn't a dual core. But, if you need remote capability, and have a decent home desktop, the T23 will do anything you'd need.

Sorry, I think I'm getting old, but the IBM T2* series is still a bullet-proof lappy.

steve