• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop with strange wifi problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey folks,

I have a Lenovo laptop that is starting to cause me some issues.

My friend, who owns it, uses it at home, all was fine, when suddenly it started to disconnect from the wifi, in his house, at the same time, his phone and ipad remain working on the wifi.

When i bring the laptop home or to my work, i can leave it streaming for hours on end, run speedtests and run without a single hick up or disconnect.

Essentially i can only narrow it down to the network card and the router being the issues.

This wifi is a 4G system that then has wifi, it sits 100% on its own far away from any other network, so i doubt channel issues is the problem.

Would anyone know what i should attempt, or have a qualified guess at what is defected?'

I forgot to mention what has been attempted. All connections removed, and added again and driver for network re-installed.
Laptop has Windows 10, upgraded from W7.

Last edited:

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Updated firmware on the router?

Beyond that, does it still disconnect with nothing else on the wifi (removing the phone and ipad, etc)?

Anything in the windows (presumably?) event logs?

OP
Pierre3400

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Unfortunatly, i havent been able to the router/modem, my friend has personally been in contact with ISP on a number of ocasions, with ISP reporting that the Router/Modem, is running like it should and is up to date.

How would i go about pulling event logs on only the Wifi.

I cannot answer for the Laptop being alone on the wifi, since its a farm, with people coming and going. My friend is very weak as far a pc's go, and it makes it hard for him to test things while im not there.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
worth a shot here:

http://superuser.com/questions/334483/where-are-windows-7-wireless-connection-event-logs

Windows logs a long list info if you try a click the Network troubleshooter on a wireless connection.

The name of the driver, and whether it is WQHL
the SSID
Signal Strength
CHannel
Wireless protocol
List of wireless networks saved on your computer
IP settings
So now it is a matter of invoking the Network Diagnosis feature to get all that.

It should be logged under Applications/Microsoft/Windows/Diagnostics-Networking. It also logs an event under Windows/System

mimart7

Could be interference, if it is 2.4 ghz router, change the channel. The 2.4 ghz spectrum is pretty saturated.

OP
Pierre3400

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Could be interference, if it is 2.4 ghz router, change the channel. The 2.4 ghz spectrum is pretty saturated.

I did consider this, but there are no other networks anywhere close that could do any interference. Can other stuff interfer with the Channel?

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I did consider this, but there are no other networks anywhere close that could do any interference. Can other stuff interfer with the Channel?

Yes!

2.4 GHz is an ISM band...and lots of other "non-radio" things operate in this frequency...such as: microwave oven, cordless phones to a land line, most "wireless" industrial equipment, etc.

Wireless LAN has it's best range when it's line of sight between devices. The range is quickly decreased when the signal has to travel through walls or near/through anything metallic.

For an experiment, try moving the laptop closer to the wireless signal to see if that helps. If that does, you may have to extend the wireless LAN signal.

OP
Pierre3400

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Yes!

2.4 GHz is an ISM band...and lots of other "non-radio" things operate in this frequency...such as: microwave oven, cordless phones to a land line, most "wireless" industrial equipment, etc.

Wireless LAN has it's best range when it's line of sight between devices. The range is quickly decreased when the signal has to travel through walls or near/through anything metallic.

For an experiment, try moving the laptop closer to the wireless signal to see if that helps. If that does, you may have to extend the wireless LAN signal.

We got to the point where, i was able to get into the Router, and change the Channel, now I have to wait and see if that changes anything.

Thank for the help so far guys.