• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

Is anyone using laptops to fold with?
I have one and just got a new one through Business(well, they are building it right now:D )

I've been afraid of heat issues...Can they handle folding if you make them do it pretty much 24/7??

SniperXX

You should have no probs. I know my dads dell's HS fan kicks into high gear tho when it gets hot after alot of use, its a high pitched whine tho. :( I like quite PCs. Manufacters always test their systems for problems and I bet testing full load temps is tested too. So you should be good, just neve OC a laptop, thats when you need to worry. Otherwise you should be good.

I will be borging my grandpas new work Dell 1.8P4 soon. I'd borg my dads but its a PIII 500 and its slow enough with the 4,200RPM HD, and a MEASLY 128MB running 2K! Sheesh, I plan to borg his soon since he got the IT dept @ work to get more RAM after I talked to them.

My $0.02

OP
E

epauls

ok, I'll give it a try on my old laptop.
Thanks for the quick responces!

xsquared_uk

LOL, I was running FAH on my laptop which is the only one I could steal from work - PII 266 with RedHat 9 on it - it took 4 days and STILL hadn't finished it's first WU - then I realised that the fan wasn't actually working so I think it'd gone into super slow 'try not to explode' mode... Currently working out how to replace the 40mm fan with an 80mm case fan and some ducting....!

I'm getting a Titanium Powerbook through work soon though - anyone had any experience of folding on MacOS X?

flixotide

A good word of advice, ensure that your laptop cooling system can take the constant load.

Cooling systems in laptops are built very close to heat-spec, to keep down size of fans, sinks and piping.

So keep a very good eye on temperatues!

Cheers, Flix

pip

if the laptop runs hot when in games and such or DVDs it would be a good idea to raise it so it gets some airflow under it with like 4 altoids canisters or something

Ray44420

My Celeron 1500 laptop folds 24/7. I keep it on the floor where it is cooler. Make sure you do not block any air intakes or exhausts. I don't think laptop designers ever dreamed people would work them as hard or as long as a folder would. :)

Daemonfly

Well, as for the heat issues, the PC I just started folding with at work is a cheap IBM desktop, not even sure if theres ANY cooling fan in it. If I fold at 100%, it gets a bit too toasty, so I just crank it down to about 60-75% & it doesn't get as warm. Can't do the 100%, but at least it's doing some.

mmcshmi11

I have a 300mhz intel celeron folding right now. It just finished its first WU today...even though its been two weeks............ hahaha

kaltag

been running on my toshiba p4 2.4 for 1 month now in the closet without a problem. I'm sure it's throttling to survive but as stated in a previous post at least it's doing something!!!

illwillchill

I just got a old compaq laptop from my dad, its an amd k6 (not sure of mhz), it can run gromacs but painfully slow going through frames over three hours :eek: for one frame compared to 19 minutes on my pally 1900. should i stick with the gromacs or move to something else?

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
My Sager Laptop (www.netbetty.com/lappy) has been happily folding away every second it is powered on for about 2 months now... not one issue. This runs the 3.06 HT CPU and is the same exact machine as the alienware but MUCH less expensive. The good thing about mobile chips and even desktop Pentium chips is that they will throttle if they get too hot.

TommyHolly

My Laptop keeps shutting down. A big storm came through Chicago recently and zapped it even though I have 3 surge protectors wired in series to it. Otherwise it would fold at a decent rate. Never completed any WUs yet... :(

NiTrO bOiE

I just added another laptop to my folding rigs. It's my sisters, and it's stable as a rock. In fact she leaves it on ALL day so it constanstly folds.