• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

large scale outdoor wireless help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natkroll

I have to do this hypothetical report for a technical communications class and I chose to analyse the feasibility of making our campus wireless, including outdoors on every part of the campus. Our campus isn't that big, but the only wireless knowledge I have is with the linksys variety routers. I know that's not what would be used to make this work.

So anyone out there with a page that could explain the typical wired/wireless hybrid network for a large scale? Anyone that could just try to decsribe what would be needed and where to buy these things online so I can get rough prices. I'd prefer to do this with 802.11g in mind. How would theses access point(if that's what i need) get the bandwidth necessary to provide network access for lots of people? Would you need fiber or something like that run to each access point?

Thanks for any help you can give.

lanman31337

If you're doing wired/wireless, you can use your existing infrastructure's router and just use access points. You'll need outdoor dual antennae's to go from building to building, and to have general outside connectivity. Access points run on cat5 using POE or Power over Ethernet to have their power without a separate power cable. Internally you'll definitely have to run site surveys to see where to put each access point.

OP
N

natkroll

Our school has a laptop program where every student is given a laptop that is included in tuition. To allow students to use this in the classrooms and dorms how often and where would these need to be placed? In the classrooms, if they are mounted above the hanging ceiling how far will the signal travel? Would you use a linksys type variety for indoor use? In the dorms where there is a lot of brick and wood, how often(how many per floor) would be needed if there are about 32 people per floor (12 floors)? The floors are arranged with 2 rows of 8 rooms separated by a center area witht he elevators and bathrooms.

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
OP
N

natkroll

The third one down for me was something with Mississippis state about their network. I don't know enough about the networking structure to just read that and figure it out. I think our google results were different or something.

My whole point in posting here instead of sifting through tons of google pages is that I know people here can either give me pages that I can understand or help me through their expertise.

Thanks for the help.

ucfswimmer

a big part of wireless infrastructure is good security..

when you put up a wireless network, unless its as secure as can be, youre inviting trouble into your network..and what's more is you're broadcasting your existence and because of the state of wireless, youre giving them an open door into your network..

first off, you want to make sure that the only people using youre wireless connection is approved to do so, being either a student, faculty or staff...something my school does when someone wanst to use the wireless connection, is to have them go to the campus computing office and 'register'..what they do is show up with their approved ID (student id, etc.) and the MAC address of the wireless device they will be usign to connect...after it has been verified that they are authorized to use the service, they are given the WEP key and their MAC addy is taken down (because MAC filtering is enabled)...

there is some additional overheard for this type of procedure (administering list of approved MACs, authenticating that an ID is valid and the pic matches the person, etc.) however in regards to wireless security and a college campus i think it is the least which needs to be done, considering how frequently campus' are used to launch attacks from (because of their high speed connections, and usually lax security measures)

otherwise other important things to consider are site-surveys (as someone else mentioned) so that you get full coverage and not too much overlapping (to reduce costs)...and as far as integrating the wireless with the wired, that is accomplished easily with the use of a bridge wherever you've got an AP meeting a wired connection...

welp thats all i have for now.

~jeff~

Mr.Guvernment

just set up access point on tall poles out side :) then people ca get their signals through their windows and have other access points in main long halls to cover that :D - must like light posts - positioning them optimally :D

lanman31337

You might be able to use an access point to cover multiple classrooms, the only way you'll know how many you'll need is to do a site survey, just like ucfswimmer said. Things such as electrical wiring and lights will interfere with the range of the access point. Whether it's Linksys, Cisco, or any other brand of access point, they're all going to have the same features and limitations.

Jeff