• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Last Resort, stop this lag

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natureknigh

I have a problem with lag issue while playing this multiplayer action game called Rumble Fighter.
Even though this game is for XP, my Vista laptop work on it sometime using my home network, it definately doesn't lag using school wireless network.
I'm sure the problem is with my connection and not my computer (laptop)because i use avg, ad-aware, registry cleaner, and disk clean up/disk defragment to keep my computer running smooth. I even reformat the computer to a factory setting just to make sure, but lag still persist.

-my ISP is AT & T ultra 1.5 Mbps

My laptop is hook up to a wireless modem from 2wire that is build for AT&T costumers. I recently bought this one thinking that it was b/c my old modem is too old or the other router is too cheap (was a D-Link that gotten free from mail in rebay). When changing the network inside my house doesn't work, i called AT & T to check on my connection issue. They send somebody and that person said he fought a problem (didn't tell me what) and he said he fix it. He did some rewiring outside the house after he tested the line coming in and then go to the nearby control box in the neighborhood to turn off and on the internet/phone. I thought the problem was fix afterward but it still lag more than half the time when i play. So i dont know what he fixed. I got a different guy to come and check on the line again but he said he found no problem.
At this point i think that if it's not the line going in the house then it must be something inside the house that interrupt my connection. I replaced the old filters to make sure the phone and internet is proper filtered, again...nothing is change about the lag. I called AT&T again for information on what could be the cost of this unreliable connection which most of the time lag but occasionally doesn't and they said it might be because of my alarm. I disable the faulty alarm that kept chirping b/c it broken but my game still lag.

I ran speed test from when i lag and when i doesn't. My highest speed was 1.4 Mbps for upload and lowest when i lag was ...45 Kbps(WTF!?), but average around 350 Kbps. I have a ps3 and 2 laptops, the ps3 stream online video while the other laptop sometime stream video or just opening web pages(I play game on my laptop). Most of the time i lag was when there is other people on my network. Could the problem be my 1.5 Mbps broadband at a split of 3 users that cause the frequent lag? or do i need a better router/wireless modem (even though i just bought this wireless modem for $100) ...or who know what else that could cause the lag.

If anybody can provide some feebacks, that would be great otherwise i have to switch service or something =(

ratbuddy

Sounds like one of those other users is killing your connection. Are they torrenting or other stuff that would use all your upstream bandwidth?

OP
N

natureknigh

The others stream videos online, does getting a better package from my ISP help? If so do i need a better modem if i upgrade?

dropadrop

The first thing you should try is looking if your router supports QOS (quality of service). Give higher priority to your gaming, and lower to the streaming video etc.