• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laughable question from a Linux newb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkyTechnician

Wow, I feel so pathetic using Linux.

I am dual booting XP and Mandrake 8.1. At the prompt to choose what OS I want to install, I accidently selected Linux-fb instead of the Linux selection. Now it simply boots into the command line and never makes it to the GUI. I'm trying to learn linux commands but it is painful to go back and forth from XP to the command line.

What command do I need to use to get back into the Mandrake GUI?

I know this question is probably so simple but I would appreciate help, I am really trying to learn.

Thanks

OP
FunkyTechnician

FunkyTechnician

I actually did try that earlier but with all the text flying up I didn't realize what it had read.

It takes me back to the commandline and gives me this error.

"XIO:Fatal IO Erro 104 on X Server "0.0" after 0 requests"

or something to that matter.

Does this mean that I need to do a fresh install?

Maybe I should've just waited until I got my new box up and running since I am using a lot of hardware that isn't Linux supported.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Looks like X is playing up. Have you changed anything at all?

mcrites

Looking around at groups.goole.com with your error message, it looks like it may lead to xfs not running. Xfs is a font manager, which I recommend against using, extra dead weight especially since X can do all the font serving internally. You may want to try running xconfig or whatever your distros config tool is for X, and try regenerating the /etc/X11/XF86Config file, or try making sure that xfs is running. You should add the fontpaths locally as well to the XF86Config file, you should be able to grab them from xfs's config file, and then kill the entry where its getting the info from xfs on its port. Not sure the specific information, but I hope this helps. As always, you can root around at groups.google.com too.

OP
FunkyTechnician

FunkyTechnician

PenguinFreak said:
Looks like X is playing up. Have you changed anything at all?

Penguinfreak,
Heh, Well not anything on purpose :D

The only thing I did was accidently run Linux-fb instead of Linux when I got the dualboot prompt.

Maybe I was a little to anxious in getting into Linux. I was going to wait until I got my second system up and running but I decided to give it a shot and dualboot so I could get used to it.

Mcrites: Woah, you lost me. I'm a total newb (never used linux until last night). Maybe I better go out and buy a copy of Linux so I can have documentation to read.

mcrites

Since you are new I would recommend reinstalling. :D Heck, I think I reinstalled redhat back when I started in 97 about 10 times before I got it the way I liked it (I did not know how to do things either :D ). Reinstall it, and see if it works, read, get linux books, groups.google.com is your friend, and know how to type man, and read READMEs, and be faithful, you too will be hooked. :D

David

Forums Super Moderator
Keep at it and you will learn fast. Try lots of diiferent stuff - play with some proggies, play with the command line (not as root tho :eek:) and generally get used to the look and feel of linux. If you need to reinstall a few times, thats fine. It took me three weeks and numerous reinstalls to get used to SuSE 7.0 Pro.