• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lazer LED's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
X

Xevuhtess7

hmm..... is there anything different with lazer led's then just 3 led's strapped together? or are they special and super powerful or sumtin....besides i haven't seen individual uv led's either, have you?

DaveSauce

they're just ultra bright, I believe. And yea, if you found 3 bright LEDs and taped them together, you'd end up with the same thing. But, the lazer LEDs are I believe in an enclosure and alreayd assembled with molex and resistors all in place, so your essentially paying for the labor of putting it all together....

OP
X

Xevuhtess7

thanks guys

where can i find resistors, or whatever else i need to put these led's together? im relatively inexperienced in this resistor kinda stuff.

OP
X

Xevuhtess7

thanks starfoxer, but how do i put these bare led's together so that 3 of them feed off one power feed and all that resistors stuff?

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Xevuhtess7 said:
thanks starfoxer, but how do i put these bare led's together so that 3 of them feed off one power feed and all that resistors stuff?
Here's how I prefer to wire multiples off one molex.
led_wiring.jpg

1. Solder the resistors (as shown) to the 12V (yellow) line of the spare colex connector you've clipped off a dead fan or something.
2. Strip the ground line (BLACK) closest to the 12V line
3. touch the first LED positive lead to the 12V line and the other lead to the ground. If it doesn't come on STOP and reverse it.
4. solder the LED to the 12V line
5. repeats steps 3 and 4 for each LED
6. solder all of the negative leads on the LEDs together. You may need to put a heild between the negative leads and the positive ones if you aren't using heatshrink
7. Install into project box.

You can pickup the resistors and project box (small plastic box that you can screw closed) at Radio Shack or a local electrical supply shop.

Last edited:
OP
X

Xevuhtess7

what's heatshrink? also, on the website it says the led's are 5v, will it like blow up the led if its running at 12v?

Matrix78

Xevuhtess7 said:
what's heatshrink? also, on the website it says the led's are 5v, will it like blow up the led if its running at 12v?

yes u'll kill them instantly if u hook straight up to 12v, thats why u need a resistor to drop the 12v to 5v

OP
X

Xevuhtess7

hmm, upon looking at that site, it says the resistors have ohms and stuff...... i slept through most of 8th grade science class, how are the ohms important?

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Use this calculator to find out what type of 1/4 resistor you need. If you buy your LEDs at radio shack they'll have the Voltage an Ma printed on the back of the package.
Generally LEDs are rated at 2.5Volts and 25ma

The resistor you'd need to reduce 12V to 2.5V @ 25ma is 470ohm