• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD Monitor Cooling (big pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntmanMike

Today, just a couple of minutes ago, i finished setting up my LCD Monitor Cooling System (LMCS). I have one fan, with a grill, then a foam pad as the intake fan, and another fan as the exhaust. Both are plugged in directly to two seperate MOLEX connectors.

front.jpg

The front of my Compaq TFT8020

top.jpg

The top view of the mod.

side.jpg

Here you can see the entire mod.

Ummm, Ok... i thought LCDs didn't get hot at all, only warm. Wouldn't that kind of noisey with 2 fans on there?

it gets hot? must be either very old or kind of defective?? i thought that one of the advantages of having an LCD is that it DIDN'T get hot at all

I was under the impression that LCD displays worked a whole lot better when they are warmer, due to the Liquid Crystals being able to change state quicker. If you've used a laptop that's been sitting in the trunk or your car for a few hours in winter, you'll know what I mean, they're very blurry and slow when cold. It would be funny if they deliberately used a backlight that puts out some heat instead of a cold cathode electroluminescent unit just to get better response, and then you go and keep it way cool. I guess in laptops where cooling is often a problem and space is tight, the cc e-lum lights are better overall. Maybe not so in a desktop model . . . . . . . . . .

my 2c

Road Warrior

Looks awful, like your sig said. Think you violated it this tme:beer:

Seriously though all you need is one fan on top blowing air through. Cooling isn't really needed though as the Heat rises and thus draws cool air in from the bottom and the hot air disperses out the top.

You didn't drill into it did you??:eek:
M_N

Duct tape, it will hold the world together......:beer:

I wouldnt show people that if i was you..... That looks like crap. I dont care if my computer burst into flames I aint putting no duct tape on it......

my humble opinion here....

You should never have a fan blowing into your monitor, BUT having a low cfm fan exhausting the hot air(on crt) is very helpful if you can find a fan that doesnt create a EMI disturbance.

My NEC monitor with a Nidec 120mm @ 4-5 volts is inaudible and reduced the temps from 120ish to 90's

id say just use the intake fan as an ehxaust fan...itd be a better setup...the air temp would keep it cool enough..and the exhaust fans wont hurt it...better to be safe than not safe and out of a good LCD monitor (dunno if compaqs r good but ::D:D)

Back