• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD owners try this: to ghost or not to ghost, here's a test!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

Well in my months of research, reading reviews, understanding specs and even as far as going to compusa and playing with LCD's till my eyes bleed I think I've stumbled upon a good way to test ghosting on a monitor. Its quick, simple, free and can be done in two seconds on any system: (I probably should submit this to overclockers for the homepage but we'll see how some of you LCD owners like this)

Viewsonic (my top brand choice over Samsung by a nose) defines ghosting as:

Ghosting: A phenomenon occurring when voltage from an energized element leaks to an adjacent OFF element and turns the adjacent element partially ON. Also, the temporary trail left by a moving object on a "slow" LCD panel.

While the "temporary trail", from what I've heard, is clearly visible in some of the high-end high-fps games what is this voltage leakage. I think I found it by accident while playing on a vx900 at compusa.

HERE IT IS:
go to screen saver settings in windows. Change to 3d text, make speed the fastest, res set to lowest and size to largest. Set to spin and make sure the text is WHITE. Give it about two spins and I guarentee you'll start seeing a force-field like ghosting around the text as it rotates. Me thinks me founds voltage leaking. the vx900 at compusa had this effect but no "trailing" with the screen saver...

Anyone with an LCD willing to try please be honest and as objective as possible. I've seen this effect on two LCD's (the VX900 and some DELL LCD here at work). I wouldn't have posted unless I was sure this is a real artifact and it is...

any thoughts also welcome!

P.S. haven't purchased anything yet but I have previous posts discussing my selection of the VX900 over the 191t. I'm still waiting to hear back from medical schools. Fat lady hasn't sung yet...

MospeadasDark

Could it be that the CompUSA models set up their LCD's really, really badly?

I don't have it. I see no forcefield but there is an ever so slight blur. I'm using DVI also.

OP
H

h0mersimps0n

no its not compusa, same thing happened to my DELL LCD at work.

DVI has nothing to do with it because both instances of ghosting are a result of how the LCD pixels perform independent of signal.

Pinky

NEC LCD1530V here, no ghosting or shadowing, etc... completely smooth and clear.

Nice test idea, I read this earlier today and couldn't wait to try it once I got home! :)

OP
H

h0mersimps0n

the essential part is making sure the text is spinning quickly and stationary (not moving around the screen) or you won't see the weird trailing. Its not me either I showed this to two of my friends.

MEAT BAG

I tried this and had no problems with ghosting or anything. every pixel perfect.

OP
H

h0mersimps0n

I guess I should have asked people to post their LCD's as well...

which of the two did you test from your sig there?

its not blatently obvious, you gotta kinda really be looking for it, I wish I could describe it better...

MospeadasDark

Well, you really gotta be looking at it to see my slight blur too.

Just because it's from Dell doesn't make it good. Dell just rebadges other models to their name. Mebbe you were looking at a low end model.

I've even tried a single "o" to make it as symmetrical and stationary as possible. No forcefield either.

Pinky

I think I see what you mean now, but it's a VERY faint trail... a kinda fuzziness, but I had to really look to find anything wrong, so I guess I'm still satisfied :D

MEAT BAG

Um. the only LCD monitor i have.....the other one is in my dirve bays and its only a character LCD:). I tried this again looking really close and even had my roomate look and still no ghosting.

OP
H

h0mersimps0n

no no no nooooo

you have to use whole words, use something like "SOMETHING" and spin that around. Remember, fastest speed, all white, low res...

and I saw this effect on a Viewsonic VX900 (25ms response time), there wasn't any trailing-ghosting, just that extended "voltage-leak"-ghosting

MEAT BAG

I used "MEATBAG". It wont let me pick the color unless i use a white texture so thats what i did. no "voltage-leak"-ghosting is visable. ?????????

MospeadasDark

h0mersimps0n said:

you have to use whole words, use something like "SOMETHING" and spin that around. Remember, fastest speed, all white, low res...

Sorry mate, still nothing. If anything, it's blinding me because the LCD's white is really, really bright white.

The_Mowman

Registered
I just tired multiple times with my ViewSonic VG151 which is a graphics monitor, so it is quality. I didn't get anything I could see or notice.

nightowl

Crystal clear, no blurs, ghosting or anything like that on my Samsung Syncmaster 151BM. You sure it is not your eyes?

:D jk

RatBag

Registered
Just tried your test with my 171P ...........GREAT MONITOR..............
and dont have the effect you explained