• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jadams

I couldn't find the answer to this Q on a search or in 3 guides that I read.

I have an LCD (16x1) that has 16 connections along the bottom, and 2 connections on the side. Every guide I have read they only talk about 14+2.

Anyone have a diagram showing the wire placement for connecting to a parallel port?

Also, on the opposite side of the two connection spots, there is a spot for an LED (Says LED- and LED+ next to two holes). If I put an LED in there, is that for backlighting? And, would if have to go between the board and the LCD, or just sit next to it?

Thank ye,
Jeff.

Created a diagram...Hope it works ;)

LCD%20Diagram.gif

This is the back of the LCD

Hope this helps. It's for a 4x40 character display but is a 16 pin config with 8 data lines. Now all you got to do is get a paralell pinout and then whip out yo' soldering iron. Let us know how it goes - I'm thinking of getting an LCD for my rig...

LCD pinout

There ya go...

What about an LED? Do you guys think I can just attach any old LED and it would work? (Course I would attach the 17 and 18 pins) Would I need a resistor?

Thanks!
Jeff.

The LED is usually an integral part of the display; they're usually an array of 4 or so LED's soldered onto the circuit board pointing under the actual LCD so that they provide a backlight. It looks like they are connected to the 17 and 18 pins and would therefore just need a dropper resistor from the 5volt rail of your power supply. Oh yeah, and I found another link to more LCD information.

more info

Happy modding chap :)

[edit] The link I just posted gives different information on the pinout; They vary slightly - enough to cause a few problems when wiring up. It might be a good idea to see if you can figure out some of the pinouts manually to correlate to one or other of the diagrams; See if you can find a capacitor across power supply rails going to certain pins / lines labelled D0-D8 or something similar. Just a thought... [/edit]

Last edited:
Back