• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lcd Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluedude2288

I want to do a graphical lcd mod, but can't decide if i should do it or not, first of all, there isn't much software out there, this is my main concern, if any of you know how to program a graphical lcd from the parallel port, pleaz let me know, and next thing is, i usually buy all my parts from allelectronics.com, they have 1 graphical lcd, perfect, but not back lit, if you guyz know anywhere that is trust worthy and cheap to get a graphical lcd with a sed1330 controller let me know!
Thanks, and if you have anymore info you think i should know, post it here

Araltd

Registered
I just did a alpha numeric lcd for the parallel port (hd44780 controller). I'm in almost the same boat- in fact I just posted about wanting other software.

All the graphical LCD software I've seen is for serial displays. LCDC is supposed to be the end-all, be-all for serial lcd's (I know that doesnt help you - but I'll share what limited knowledge I have with you)

Smartie LCD is easy to user and fairly simple, but a bit boring.

jaLCD is much nicer, offering screen wipes, transitions, special effects, etc. But its a bit harder to understand as it was written by a german programmer and ported to english (I guess) and sometimes hard to follow.

There are others I'm sure- but I have NOT found them. I know crystalfonz.com (I think it is) sells expensive serial lcd's, including graphic ones. matrixobital.com offers the same thing.

I got lucky and found my alphanumeric display locally for $8.00 :p

And he's got some 4x40's for $10, I'm thinking about building one just for the hell of it. I have yet to see a graphic one, and no graphic software for parallel.

IF YOU FIND ANYTHING - PLEASE KEEP ME INFORMED... I'm really interested in this too!

Thanks
-Toaster
[email protected]

Araltd

Registered
Are these graphic LCD's as easy to install, wire in, and use as alpha numeric hd44780 controlled displays are?

Looks like they require 18vdc (ouch), gotta do some wiring in series for that.

OP
bluedude2288

bluedude2288

yeah, thats my main concern! 18 volts, i have 2 psus, so i was going to wire the 12volt in line with the 5 volt on the other, or just get an ac adapter, and yeah, they are pretty simple to wire up!

Araltd

Registered
Aw man... Why did you have to show me that- I was really happy with my alphanumeric one- Now I'm gonna have to buy a graphic one and try that! ****! ;)

OP
bluedude2288

bluedude2288

sorry bout that, i was the same way, i just had my lcd for a month and was looking for more places to buy lcds to screw arround with and i stumbled across this

Pablissimo

Registered
Are there any UK suppliers of LCDs with controllers that anyone can think of? I'm modding an old P90 into something along the lines of a VCR to make an mp3 player just to sit under the telly and wouldn't mind something with a keypad interface that I can replace the clock panel with...

And being a student, bear cheapness in mind. That or student discounts =))