• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leadtek Geforce 2 Pro or ULTRA 64 meg ddr overclocking ratings ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M

Me

Ok i need to know what the highest i can do with this card if i overclock it. Right now i have a Geforce 2 Pro 64 ddr made by PNY!!!!! i purchased for 250 2 weeks ago and im going to bring it back soon and get my money back and get a leadtek , but i dont know what i can achieve with this card. Right now i got the PNY card at 240 core and 443 mhz . i know the leadtek comes stock 200/366 . The card i got came 201/401 but it was 250 bucks at best buy!!!!!! Tell me your overclocking experience
I am reall y looking towards leadtek , help me out!

My Leadtek GF2 pro 64 does 235/410 stable anything over that causes lockups, I have Ramsinks and a socket7 Heatsink affixed to the chip.....this Leadtek is at its limit.

I heard that some newer leadteks are coming with faster ram if you were to buy them now

Me (Jul 01, 2001 08:10 a.m.):
I heard that some newer leadteks are coming with faster ram if you were to buy them now

The DDR ram is 5.5ns on my Leadtek. I am thinking about buying a ELSA GF2 Ultra with 3.8ns DDR and giving this Leadtek to a buddy of mine on a tight budget.

Hey ME,

I got a question for you, since your PNY is at 240 core and 443 mhz why dont you keep it as thats pretty awesome numbers for a GF2 pro?? Leadtek cards are pretty nice but it seems that that PNY has a decent chip.

I have a Hercules Geforce 2 GTS Pro 64mb. It comes standard at 200x400 and i got it running stable at 240x470. My 3dmark2001 score is 3983 which is higher than the ultra cards. I have added a Blue orb with artic silver 2 grease and thermaltake ram sinks.

Sam (Jul 01, 2001 02:56 p.m.):
Hey ME,

I got a question for you, since your PNY is at 240 core and 443 mhz why dont you keep it as thats pretty awesome numbers for a GF2 pro?? Leadtek cards are pretty nice but it seems that that PNY has a decent chip.

i paid 250 at bestbuy and with that money i can buy a ultra! i just bought it to test it out , im going to return it next week

mEKbOY (Jul 01, 2001 03:19 p.m.):
I have a Hercules Geforce 2 GTS Pro 64mb. It comes standard at 200x400 and i got it running stable at 240x470. My 3dmark2001 score is 3983 which is higher than the ultra cards. I have added a Blue orb with artic silver 2 grease and thermaltake ram sinks.

Yeah thats nice and all , but the latest price for a hercules geforce 2 gts pro 64 on price watch is 319 bucks without shipping. Now i can go to newegg.com for and get a leadtek ultra for 242 bucks free shipping or even a geforce 3. With the ultra i can get 250+x 500+ overclocked
. I have a question... What were you thinking when you bought one? I mean Herc cards are expensive and not worth the money.

Um.. who said i payed $319 for the card. I got it new on Ebay for $200 3 months ago. I hope you dont always jump to conclusions like that. Anyways.. To me quality brands pay off on video cards due too stability and support. If i were to buy a new card i would go still with a Hercules or a Gainward as i have heard that there very overclockable. Check Ebay or Pricewatch for the lowest prices.

i would on still gone with the ultra from leadtek. Of course if 40-60 bucks was a big deal to you then i guess you made a good choice. The card i got from best buy sounds like the same as yours. 201/401 stock

| Correction. I just upgraded my drivers from 6.50 to 12.90 and my 3dmark2001 score went from 4110 to 4688. Cool.

I have nothing but good things to say about my Leadtek GF2 Ultra. Comes with 4ns DDR RAM which is underclocked at 460 Mhz. 4ns is rated for 500 Mhz so get to 500 is easy. I got to 530 no problem at all with stock cooling. It'll go 535-540 but you start to notice artifacts after a while. Its totally stable at 530. 3dmarks2001=4110. The core defaults at 250 Mhz. I didn't bother overclocking the core. No point really. Just more heat without any real performance gains.

My computer is only a slot a with pc100 1000mhz tbird. ok you are running 1425mhz pc133 overclocked. I think the best bet for me is to spend 250 and get a new motherboard and cpu. You dont think that running pc133 and 1500mhz and agp4x willl make any difference ????????? I mean i could always get a geforce 3 down the road. Tough decesion

Me, your 1000 Mhz CPU is plenty fast enough. The bottleneck in your system now is that V3. Isn't it also limited to 16 bit color?

When I was building my new system I realized that I had to balance CPU and video card performance because depending on the type of game you are playing EITHER can be the bottleneck. For example, many racing games and flight sims are very CPU dependent. But some action games like Quake3 are very video card dependent while Unreal Tournament is more CPU dependent.

My goal was to have high frame rates at 32 bit color, high resolutions with maximum 'eye candy' visual effects. Overall, I've achieved that. I get demo1 average 84 fps in Q3 at 1280x1024, 32 bit color, all effects max, high quality audio. Also playable at 1600x1200 with 60 fps demo1 average. In UT I get 75+ average framerates in deathmatches at 1600x1200, 32 bit color, all effects max.

I know I'm rambling on a bit but my point is that I think your video card is going to be a bottleneck if its too slow regardless of how fast the CPU is.

I'm not sure what your question really is now. Definitely return the GF2 Pro that you paid $250 for. That's way too much. You already know you can get a Pro at newegg for around $130 (32MB version). I wouldn't bother with the $170 64MB Pro. The extra 32MB isn't really going to do much for you right now. Either the $130 Pro or $242 Ultra will offer a much better performance match to your 1 gig CPU. It comes down to how much money you want to spend and what resolutions you want to play at. If you deathmatch only at 800x600, 16 bit color then the Pro would be plenty fast enough. If want max resolution and eye candy then go for the Ultra.

Its seems you are leaning toward a new mb and CPU. Its your decision of course but if I were in your situation I would upgrade the video card. As I said earlier, you CPU is already fast enough for now.

Back