• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leak Testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

If all goes well I should be leak testing by tonight. Thing is I'm not sure what is good to do... I was just gonna hook the pump to all the blocks and the bong and let it run in my bathtub. I was gonna put tissue around the joints cuz it deforms/falls apart when it gets wet, that way if it dripped overnight I would be able to catch it even if it evaporated.

Should I be doing something else?

Thanks!

--Illah

Milkman

I set up my entire watercooling sytem in the tub and on newspaper,and periodically checked for moisture, after 1 full day of no leaks I felt all was ok and has been for 3 months now.

mamer

OP
Illah

Illah

mamer said:
I set up my entire watercooling sytem in the tub and on newspaper,and periodically checked for moisture, after 1 full day of no leaks I felt all was ok and has been for 3 months now.

mamer

So in other words I had the right idea :)

Thanks.

--Illah

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
i just hook mine up and let her run for a while same as i would put it into the computer

masitti

I just tested mine right next to my comp, with a towel under it. I put toilet paper around all the barbs/connections, cuz like you said, it falls apart when wet.

If you use hose clamps, you should have almost nothing to worry about. ;)

OP
Illah

Illah

Oh I got hose clamps, the real ones. They are the metal ring with the screw type deal. Honestly, I really don't think I need to leak test cuz just like you said, hose clamps plus good barbs are pretty safe. Thing is, what can go wrong will go wrong, you know? I can hold off one more day, I've been planning for almost two months now :) No sense rushing now.

--Illah

masitti

Illah said:
Oh I got hose clamps, the real ones. They are the metal ring with the screw type deal. Honestly, I really don't think I need to leak test cuz just like you said, hose clamps plus good barbs are pretty safe. Thing is, what can go wrong will go wrong, you know? I can hold off one more day, I've been planning for almost two months now :) No sense rushing now.

--Illah

Definitely - the metal type are the best. Even tho these may be safe to go, like you said, it never hurts to leak test. :)

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
leak test because sometimes in the factory or where they get made they mite mess something up or something, or during shipping, well i really dont know, but something could happen.

nebben

I have 1/2" brass barbs on everything except the pump, and metal clamps. I tested it on my workbench in the case (without any electrical components in it) with all the blocks/radiator connected. Sure enough, I had a slow leak from a nipple on the pump, and a steady slow leak from one of the barbs on the radiator. I guess I needed a little more JB weld on one fitting, and I had a teeny speck of it on one of the barbs...causing a poor seal (even with the metal clamps).

24 hours later, the new JB weld cured, and the speck had been scraped off. I clamped everything again, and tightened the pump a little: voila. No leaks. Now, I've got everything installed in the case, and am testing again just to be sure. I dripped a little distilled water on the video card, but I'm going to let the pump run for a few days first anyway before plugging the motherboard in. Gotta get the bubbles out.

I am paranoid.

-ben

RnPgrosz

Illah said:
If all goes well I should be leak testing by tonight. Thing is I'm not sure what is good to do... I was just gonna hook the pump to all the blocks and the bong and let it run in my bathtub. I was gonna put tissue around the joints cuz it deforms/falls apart when it gets wet, that way if it dripped overnight I would be able to catch it even if it evaporated.

Should I be doing something else?

Thanks!

--Illah

Theres no one way to do it as is so with most things in watercooling.:) I dry-fit the setup in my case and take out most components(besides mobo and cpu) and just fill it in the case. Leak test for about 24 hours then put all components back in. I tried a leak test outside of the case but when I was trying to move it into my case a hose snapped off and soaked my floor so I prefer to move it around as little as possible while its full. Of course I was using plastic hose clamps(probably not the best idea). But anyway, there are many ways to do it.

grim

i dont like leak testing outside the case because i did it and after i was doen testing i realized that there was no way i could get it set up in the case the way it was put together. had to shorten hosees and turn things the other way and all that stuff. so i ended up taking it all apart and starting the test over inside the case with everything inside with it.

masitti

grim said:
i dont like leak testing outside the case because i did it and after i was doen testing i realized that there was no way i could get it set up in the case the way it was put together. had to shorten hosees and turn things the other way and all that stuff. so i ended up taking it all apart and starting the test over inside the case with everything inside with it.

I leak tested right next to the case - so all my tubing and stuff was a perfect fit.

What I did was used an old cardboard box to set the waterblock on (about the height of the mobo), and set the pump and heatercore in their respective places. I then moved it into the corner of the room. Worked perfect.

You have to remember I had vinyl tubing, which didn't flex that good, so I had to have the things in perfect spots, cuz if I didn't, the tubing would kink.

Just my $.02 on how I did it. :)

Skulemate

I find that so long as you leak test the major components once (i.e. block, radiator, reservoir) you don't really need to leak test again when you take the system apart, say for cleaning or maitenance. If all I am doing is disconnecting and reconnecting hoses then I won't bother with a leak test (has anyone ever seen hose leak if it was jammed as far over the barb as the barb allows and then tightened properly with a metal hose clamp?). Call me crazy if you like, but I just find it to be a pain to do.