• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leaking!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

leak.JPG

It has leaked about a centimeter in two days :( I've checked all the connections and there are no visible losses. All the metal clamps are screwed tightly, but not too tightly.

I'm seriously thinking it's the cap. Do you guys recommend another one? I heard in the past metal ones are better?

better picture of the cap I'm using:
case.jpg

I got the cap and the end both at Home Depot...and the cap itself is a bit 'short'. As you can see in the picture, there is still thread left, but it won't cap more :(

btw,the first picture is my current setup. I changed the T-line's location and cleared up the cables :D

Last edited:

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
take off the cap, I bet the water level will go down even more... Its because all the little microbubles eventually get up the tube. some evaporates and comes out of the water tight seals but not always air tight...

OP
jlin453

jlin453

I know newly assembled systems go through this.....

Think my current w/c system has been up for...half a week?

Daemonfly

Only half a week? Expect that waterline to go down even more. Like JFettig said, water contains air molecules. over time, these will escape into the T line, and the water in the T line will slowly move into the system to replace the air.

OP
jlin453

jlin453

Yeah, guess so.

I had to take everything apart b/c my old design created a bit of kink when my case was closed(dang thin generic case)

Hm...My old system was together for about 2-3 three weeks and the level was also slowly going down.

How long does this process usually take?

How about the end/cap. Do you guys suggest me find a metal one? Or will this plastic one suffice

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
jlin453 said:
How long does this process usually take?

How about the end/cap. Do you guys suggest me find a metal one? Or will this plastic one suffice

My t-line system would take up to a month or two for this to stop. There's also a ton of trapped air in the end-tanks of the radiator.

Your plastic cap is fine. No need to change it at all.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Prefilling helps if you can't shake your case after filling to remove air, but alot of that air comes out of the water. It's suspended as teeny tiny bubbles that collect together.
The design of a heatercore makes it hard for these small bubbles to escape into the waterflow. Each flat tube that extends through the fin area also extends upto 1/4" into the endtank where it gets soldered into place. This creates a "sheltered" pocket where the waterflow cannot reach too well.

In short, the air will collect there no matter how attentive you are to this detail, just not quite as badly.

A tad bit of detergent helps by lowering the surface tension of those bubbles, allowing them to move more easily. Waterwetter provides this.
Time is the other ingredient.