• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leaky Apogee..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
d94 said:
good to hear its not leaking!
however, the appogge is optimized for more surface area, so the smaller the contact the worse the temps in theory. i believe it's pedessor is the one for smaller dies :)

regardless i want results!
d94, maybe I'm missing your point, but the IHS won't make a small die CPU transfer heat like a large die CPU. The spreader is too thin to really spread the heat much at all, and if it were thick enough to do that job, it would present an even larger thermal barrier than it already does. It's really just a protective shield and does not improve the thermal properties of the CPU at all.

That said, I have to agree with Voigts. Especially since at least one corner of every IHS-less AMD CPU die I've ever seen with my own eyes had been ground off by the heatsink. It's very easy to damage those things when they're bare. And while I'm all for minimizing thermal resistance, I can't say I think AMD made the wrong move when they started capping their CPU dies. My only gripe is that they didn't make it a heatpipe the full size of the CPU package with the working fluid in direct contact with the die. Now that would be a heatspreader. :D

voigts said:
I don't see a couple of C less worth voiding the warranty by removing the IHS. The storm would be better if you are going to do this.

the IHS is already removed. Not a big deal really.

I messed up.. but the chip is running fine. One of the little chips on top appears to have something knocked out of it.. though it could just be some crap thats sitting on it too.

I am so glad I went with the Swiftech Storm instead of the Apogee. Heard nothing but problems with the Apogee. They are also not making the Storm anymore so get them while you can.

Shootingblanks said:
I am so glad I went with the Swiftech Storm instead of the Apogee. Heard nothing but problems with the Apogee. They are also not making the Storm anymore so get them while you can.

Did they really discontinue it? I havent seen anything about that yet. Other than talk of course. Its still on their site though ?? I'm thinking maybe they only discontinued their older series blocks.

minor update.. I'm running uncapped now. Temps ATM are 1C lower than they were with IHS on and AS5 cured.

My system needs a few hours to bleed still and AS5 was just applied. I think the results were pretty good..

Is it leaking from the threads of the barbs? It may be a good idea to use some teflon tape on the threads when you screw them in. This will help create an additional seal within the theards to prevent leaking. I have an apogee also and was thinking I might not use the tape, but I think I will now. I'm not going to open mine either. Looked clean and running water through it didn't push any debris out.

-Rav

I cleaned my block and I didn't use any Teflon tape and I don't have any leaks. I just tightened the barbs with my hand and then about a turn or two with a pair of pliers.

Sounds like there's a fair amount of variation in the parts. I guess that's not too surprising given that Swiftech's main goal with this block was to reduce manufacturing costs.

I am sure Swiftech will get it togehter soon...or at least they will once they see their sales figures.

I dotn think this is a particularly bad block.. I just think they should use better barbs. Maybe brass ones or something.. The first couple times I attached them I was especially careful to not strip them, the 3rd time which resulted in no leaking they became slightly stripped :\

Its not a big deal and they will still be easy to remove.. but what happens 2-3 years down the road when I've had to re-attach them a few times? Just seems like a waste. Products like this should be able to last. Thats one of the main selling points of liquid cooling.. the capacity is so great that you can expand your hardware without worry about needing an all new cooling system :(

Oh well, hopefully it isnt too hard to find some replacement barbs when I need them. I also hope that more current or soon-to-be apogee users take note of this so it does not happen to them. Luckily for me my graphics card that died was extremely low end.

Why do you need to take the barbs in and out? Even if you need to take the block apart to clean it the metal plate will slip off over the barbs. I will agree that I don't feel like it is going to be safe to pull the tubing off of the barbs. I am using 7/16" tubing and it is SNUG. I am just going to use a razor blade if and/or when I need to remove the tubing.

I dont know if I'll need to remove them. Its not really a matter of it being needed anyway, more of the fact that there is no reason to not be able to.

Cant really say much for when I got the leak, I noticed about a week after. It wasnt a pouring leak anyway. Seriously couldnt of been more than 1 drip every 4-5 hours. My water level didnt not noticably move over the course of the week, this is why I never noticed the leak.

Back