• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Learn it Yourself: C++ Course

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am currently a Programming student, due to graduate this Sept. If any of you are considering learning programming I would URGE you to start with VB. That is the best way to learn how to think like a programmer because it divides your program up in such a way where you can actually see the objects and the code behind them and think about what you need to make that part of the program do.

C++ to me is very very powerful... having taken C and C++, I can tell you that it's very challenging, but it will open your eyes as to how things work. Being able to manipulate things at memory addresses is a very powerful tool.

However, C++ pushes the limit as far as being complex enough to be able to build extremely powerful programs like 3d games, and also being able to be partly (and I do mean partly) understood enough for people to program in it.

Sure you can write a game in it... but to just sit down and write a game (with actual graphics) from scratch without looking at anyone else's code would take months, and even then the game would be pretty crappy.

C++ is about as close to machine language you can get and still actually be productive enough in to accomplish something.

I encourage anyone to learn programming, but it's not for everyone, I saw many people drop from the program after C, and the school says that's pretty normal, those people usually go on to MFC, which is also a good way to go.

Good luck all

i'm gonna chime in with a good job of my own. i've already taken a course that covered most of what you're done here, but this is definately a good sticky that also has a few things i didn't get to in my class. again, nice job.

What about programs with a Windows GUI. Will you be writing an MFC/ATL Tutorial?

Last edited:
Hi. I have a couple of questions;

-On "Lesson 3: Getting to know the IDE (DAY 1)", "In Bloodshed Dev-C++", after "clicking ok" the window disappears, and hence not giving me the option in which directory to save the file.

-"Lesson 4 Our First Program (Day 2)", first paragraph, last sentence "(if you’re not sure how, please ask!)", Won't you please?..:). They way i managed to do it, wasn't the same as explained on the tutorial.

Thank you.:D btw, your tutorial makes good reading material.

Last edited:
HI, this is a really good thing youve done, I was thinking about buying a book to start me off with C++ but this should be a good place to start for free instead of shelling out for a book. The only thing is I got the bloodshed devC++ program and set up the include files like you said, but when i try to compile the test program, I get errors even though I am certain I got the include files right. Can you think why this would happen?

that is way cool of you to do this frodo... i've been thinking of going back to school to learn code for a while. this gives me a little taste.

Something I find interesting, is that C++ is extremely similar to the language I use when writing programs for commercial fire alarm panels. Not exactly the same, but very similar in syntax.

<btw> very helpfull thread. Very informative and useful!

Bigdogbmx said:
HI, this is a really good thing youve done, I was thinking about buying a book to start me off with C++ but this should be a good place to start for free instead of shelling out for a book. The only thing is I got the bloodshed devC++ program and set up the include files like you said, but when i try to compile the test program, I get errors even though I am certain I got the include files right. Can you think why this would happen?

What errors is it giving you?

i just started and im only on... Lesson 3: Getting to know the IDE (DAY 1)

and the "Navigating the IDE" does not work :(
also u don't need to change any settings in the new version :)

can someone plz update that link

also.. how do u "Set your program to “Release” mode"? :(

Thanks Frodo! I have worked with VB.NET, Java, and some other languages but never had a chance to learn C++. I am going to go through your tutorials to get started and see how I like it. If you have any more, keep them coming! :D

First of all I cant start telling you how grateful I am for your considerable beyond reason enlightening hard work. I really wanted to get involved in programing you just gave me that chance...Thank you so much...
If you ever want to learn Jazz Guitar/Brazilian music /Writting, I am an expert at it...Whenever you ask, you got it...

you requested :

"Dev-C++ 5.0 beta 7 (4.9.7.0) (10 MB) with Mingw/GCC 3.2"

I found closest :

"Dev-C++ 5.0 beta 9.2 (4.9.9.2) (9.0 MB) with Mingw/GCC 3.4.2
Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.2, includes full Mingw compiler system with GCC 3.4.2 and GDB 5.2.1 See NEWS.txt for changes in this release."

I downloaded it thinking its an updated version?

great guide, I'm gonna learn C/C++ once and for all now... been wanting to for ages !

Thanks.

Back