Learning about OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quantos

Registered
Hi there, I'm new here and I want to learn about overclocking my pc. I'm not sure if you can see my build details that I put into my profile. This is a link to my build list https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4NrqF8

I am going to be upgrading my RAM and I suspect that I might need to change my PSU.

So I have no idea what questions to ask or how to ask them. Is there some good reading that will help me get up to speed on at least some of the terminology?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Quantos

Registered
Thanks, I'm reading now :)

That's good to hear that the PSU is strong enough. I wasn't sure if it would be a limiting factor.

I'll be back, with more questions likely. Can I ask those in this thread or is there a better place to post?

Thanks in advance.

freeagent

This is your thread buddy! You can post whatever you want in here :)

That build looks sweet man, hope you enjoy it!

MaddMutt

WOW - $750 for a 9900k. :shock:
Are you looking to just get a game rolling OR into the nuts and bolts OCing? To get the best OC in memory, it’s recommended to limit it to 2 sticks. <- Dual channel for Desktop - Quad channel for HEDT. I mentioned this as you should not “think/believe” that DDR4-2400 is going to hit DDR4-3733 + speeds.
That 360mm AIO (I have a EVGA 360mm + 9900kf) should allow you to hit ~ 5.2GHz for gaming.
Have fun building and asking question as this a great community for advice :cheers:

Quantos

Registered
WOW - $750 for a 9900k. :shock:
I know, I live in Canada and they rape us in tax and tariffs.

Are you looking to just get a game rolling OR into the nuts and bolts OCing?
I want to actually get into the nuts and bolts of it. I specialize in builds and I've had so many of my clients asking about it that I need to learn - even if it's just to answer their questions accurately and precisely.

To get the best OC in memory, it’s recommended to limit it to 2 sticks. <- Dual channel for Desktop - Quad channel for HEDT. I mentioned this as you should not “think/believe” that DDR4-2400 is going to hit DDR4-3733 + speeds.
Yeah, I'm aware of that, the RAM was needed for a gigapixel stereo lithography that I was working on. I'm currently looking for a new kit to put in as I need the 2400MHz in another machine. Do you have any tips on a kit?

That 360mm AIO (I have a EVGA 360mm + 9900kf) should allow you to hit ~ 5.2GHz for gaming.
I've already managed to achieve 5.0GHz across all cores <edit> I managed to get a 12227 on Cinebench 23 </edit>, still trying to determine if it's actually stable. What software do you recommend for that?

Have fun building and asking question as this a great community for advice :cheers:

<edit2> Thanks for the help and encouragement, I really feel comfortable here. Seems like a great community. </edit2>
I'm having a great deal of fun with this, well, when I'm not resetting the BIOS :D

<edit> I was looking at that IXTU, would you recommend that at all? Is there any benefit to having it deal with the OC settings over the BIOS? </edit>

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

AFAIK, you'd have to set your settings in XTU each time you get into windows. Setting it from the BIOS allows it to happen on boot.

As far as suggesting a memory kit, Intel is easy... I like GSkill Trident Z series, but you could stick a potato in those slots and it should work. For that platform and reasonable amounts of RAM (32GB or less) I'd run around 3600-3800 CL14-CL16.

What software do you recommend for that?
A stress test application. I use the one in AIDA64 (check off CPU, Cache, and Memory), but there's Prime 95 (blend for system, small FFT for cpu only) and multiple others.

Have you read the overclocking guides? I know this is 10 series, but, most applies.
https://www.overclockers.com/how-to-overclock-the-i9-10900k-a-guide-for-taming-the-beast/

Here's another for that CPU specifically - https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/9225/intel-core-i9-9900k-kf-overclocking-guide/index.html

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator

Welcome to a fellow Canuck, I feel your pain with PC parts, it's ridiculous what they want us to pay but.....
When it comes to overclocking cooling is typically the limiting factor. My go-to for stability has always been Prime95, some feel it's excessive and may limit your overclock but if it's stability you want I feel you can't beat it. AIDA64 works well for testing your RAM if you OC that and it also has an overall stability test. My final stability test is 4 hours of P95 blend with Unigine Heaven running looped in the background. This will produce a lot of heat which will determine just how well your set-up disperses it and the OC deals with it.
When it comes to RAM a decent 3600 kit is typically the go-to these days, I always lean toward a Samsung-based kit. They're typically a bit more expensive but when it comes to OC they're a lot more flexible IMO Pretty sure this is Sammy-B and a bit more affordable than the CL16 https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232804

Quantos

Registered
Those will be fine, yep! A bit slow for my taste, but, fine. :)
It's intel, the tests that I've done show that the CL is actually a bigger factor than just the frequency is, or are you referring to overall?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

I'm talking speed (MHz). The sweetspot is around 3600 with the lowest CL you can/want to afford.

That said, I highly doubt you'll notice a difference outside of benchmarking anyway. ;)

Quantos

Registered
LMAO - I'd love to find some nice 3600MHz CL12 - of course they'd likely want my left nut for that...

Johan45

I've actually been looking at this kit https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232379?Item=N82E16820232379

<edit> Okay, reran cinebench 23 and got a 12297 - however I noticed that my package temp was hitting 90C and it was throttling down to 4800MHz, what would you guys suggest that I look at? </edit>

That kit will be fine and judging by the timings it's likely Samsung and shouldn't be too hard to get it up to 3600 if you want to try your hand at overclocking the RAM.

If you're throttling in CBR23 then your voltage/OC is too high for your cooler. Is the AIO running at full speed when it gets that high?

Quantos

Registered
If you're throttling in CBR23 then your voltage/OC is too high for your cooler. Is the AIO running at full speed when it gets that high?
Yes, the pump is on full and the fans are on full when it's hitting that

Johan45

I'd start by lowering voltage and testing. If you need to drop the speed for stability then that's what you need to do. You can set an AVX offset which can give you a bit more speed in gaming but slow the CPU during more intensive workloads.

Quantos

Registered
I'd start by lowering voltage and testing. If you need to drop the speed for stability then that's what you need to do. You can set an AVX offset which can give you a bit more speed in gaming but slow the CPU during more intensive workloads.

LMAO - that's the best bloody explanation I can find for AVX offset, thank you - reading the documentation for the AVX feature is pretty damned dry, in fact I had a nap while reading it...

Quantos

Registered
I'm amazed, I just did a test render, it normally takes very close to 22 hours - I just completed it in just under 19 hours. I guess depending on what the task is, OC can actually make a significant difference.

Quantos

Registered
Hey, I'm getting a little weirdness. I'm getting the idea that my motherboard might have VRM issues. Is there anyway to verify that or troubleshoot it?