• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Legal way to get a windows 7 ISO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

so I did the get a free windows 7 since I have a .edu e-mail address and I picked windows 7 pro 64bit. since then I've realized I can use my college laptop as a windows media center, which would be awesome since it'd save me from having to buy one, however it's 32 bit. The windows key works fine for both but I'm had them ship me a 64 bit install CD. So is there a legal way to get a 32bit iso so I can use it for my media center.

Neuromancer

Cool Idid not know that. Well, find a budd that will let you make an ISO of it, or contact microsfot. They will send a 32 bit one out for a 10 or 15 bucks IIRC.

fire2havoc

If you choose the option to download the Windows 7 which you purchased, the website will allow you to download both the 32-bit and 64-bit ISO files in addition to the x86 and x64 installers.

OP
M

MLMIB

yup, my bad, choose to ship since I figured it was a bit more secure. (nice to have the original DVD)

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
If you ordered through win741, then you just need to contact customer support via e-mail and ask for the .iso. That's what I did and they just sent me a link to the .iso.

OP
M

MLMIB

just got off the phone with microsoft, they just processed another order for me for the 32bit version, had to pay again but at least I'll get the DVD. *shrug* works for me

johnz

it is weird they include media center in pro, it then makes it very close to Ultimate version...

Each version is a superset of the previous version. Ultimate is kind of useless. Bitlocker and language support is the only differentiation between Pro and Ultimate AFAIK. I'm not sure what else they could have added though. The Ultimate Extras of Vista had promise, but they really didn't offer anything. That project was stillborn :^/

vixro

so I did the get a free windows 7 since I have a .edu e-mail address and I picked windows 7 pro 64bit. since then I've realized I can use my college laptop as a windows media center, which would be awesome since it'd save me from having to buy one, however it's 32 bit. The windows key works fine for both but I'm had them ship me a 64 bit install CD. So is there a legal way to get a 32bit iso so I can use it for my media center.

As far as I know, if you have a legitimate key, you can download an ISO from any source you want (whether the source be iffy or not) and it's all still legal since you aren't using a crack and you own it.

Although, you do increase your chances of having a "clean" iso from a more direct source. :comp:

Mr.Guvernment

It is not legal to download it from anywhere other then MS, not legal at all never has been, never will be most likely.

A reason for this is if MS said it was okay, people would download the first ISO google showed them and what if it has been modified, injected with bad code, viruses and so on,most people don't know what an MD5 hash is.

Find a friend who has a disk and use it, make sure it is the same as yours OEM or Retail.

turbohans

Going to school??? Baker College offer it through Blackboard at a huge discount.
Home prem. really isn't that expensive $140us, free it will never be.

What im wondering is if they cut a good deal for multiple licences...

turbohans

Each version is a superset of the previous version. Ultimate is kind of useless. Bitlocker and language support is the only differentiation between Pro and Ultimate AFAIK. I'm not sure what else they could have added though. The Ultimate Extras of Vista had promise, but they really didn't offer anything. That project was stillborn :^/

....and who accually needs to switch their desktop between 20 diffrent languages. Not to mention a "T.P.M"(needed for bitlocker) is in nobodys computers right now....
(Sorry to double post but major point here)

gwar2288

....and who accually needs to switch their desktop between 20 diffrent languages. Not to mention a "T.P.M"(needed for bitlocker) is in nobodys computers right now....

Microsoft know people are idiots.
W7 Ultimate is the Mac of the Windows OS :clap:

Neuromancer

Think you will only find TPM on business class OEM PC's. (Like the latitude D series laptops)

Mr.Guvernment

People like saying "i have Ultimate versions" cause it makes their e-peen bigger, meanwhile most people are just laughing at them and the extra $$ they spent on it

turbohans

Think you will only find TPM on business class OEM PC's. (Like the latitude D series laptops)

Shoot, after looking at this I guess my mobo has a spot for one. Where do you buy TPM's though?!?!?!

Be kinda funny if that module was like $200,, that would make around $400 just for the total functionality of an OS lol