• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lengthen wires for usb dongle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpaceRangerJoe

i have a usb2.0 dongle that came with my mobo. i was thinking about taking the plug off the metal bracket, and putting it behind a 5 1/4 bay. the only problem is, its not nearly long enough (darn full tower case =) ). but anyway, does anyone see any problems with me cutting the wires, and soldering in some more? i wouldnt think it would hurt anything, but i just wanted to check first. thanks.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
I'm not entirely sure this will work, but I'm not entirely sure it won't. If you had a few spares, give it a shot and see if it works. Just make sure you insulate each wire nicely. The only thing I could see happening would the solder creating different resistance in the wires that throws off the data transfer...with USB 2 having such a high data rate, there does exist the possibility that messing with the lines could cause problems.

How about getting 2 USB2 extension cables? Plug them into the bracket, secure it inside the case, and route the ends of the extension to the 5 1/4" bay.

Mike

OP
SpaceRangerJoe

SpaceRangerJoe

hmm....i might just try it and see what happens. even if it doesnt work, its not the end of the world. its one of those mods that i might use once (just maybe). i just kinda wanted to do it for kicks. thanks for the input.

Cuper

If you solder carefully it wil work. I have a friend who does very clean connections and he got it to work. We havn't noticed any problems yet??