• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lenovo laptop, Use a sewing needle to enter the bios...seriously? yup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxfly

Lenovo z51-70 laptop(decent little gamer for the grand kids). this is the strangest situation ive come across in a lonnng time. ive had the laptop for a year or so but never had a need to enter the bios until recently having upgraded the ssd and memory i wanted to check them out in the bios. just making sure everything was kosher. after trying all of the usual ways of entering the bios,no go. i tried everything under the sun but i could figure out how to enter the bios! THE BIOS! are you kidding me!?! i finally went to the lenovo website to see what the heck was going on and found that i literally have to use a sewing needle or pin to access the friggin bios. im talking like the reset button on a old router! you know, poke around with the needle until you feel some resistance and wait for the bios to load. this is just to much. do people really accidentally jack their systems up so often that they consider this a viable option?!? unbelievable
oh and a bit more ranting about this lovely company. the battery died 8 months after buying it(happy happy joy joy). it was under warranty so i was in no hurry. it would be a simple affair. i figured no sweat ill set up the rma and they will send me a new battery after i send them the dead one right? that seems reasonable to my simple mind. oh noooo they want me to send them the whole friggin laptop for a battery that ive already removed! heres the kicker. not only that but they will assume ZERO responsibility for my rig while its in their hands. im talking in giant yellow caution tape letters on the tech support website. it states that your rig is on its own once it gets there! are you kidding me?! :mad: theres no way in hell i will send you bozos anything after your tech support people tell me they cant be responsible for my rig. the guy said it like he was afraid to tell me! this poor sob. i mean he actually told me that it may come back with scratches etc...yeah right as if i would take that chance. its virtually brand new! the kids have used it twice! never again lenovo. say byebye to this customer.
so i ask you laptop gurus out there, is this the norm? am i expecting to much? either way what manny do you suggest?

sigh, sorry for the rant.

I'm going to go out on a potentially unpopular limb here. Doing business with China carries some risks, and Lenovo is IBM's old PC arm. Purchased by, of course, China (where everything is ultimately owned by the government). I've generally had good luck with Dell, but I'm sure there are horror stories aplenty concerning every manufacturer.

Lenovo z51-70 laptop(decent little gamer for the grand kids). this is the strangest situation ive come across in a lonnng time. ive had the laptop for a year or so but never had a need to enter the bios until recently having upgraded the ssd and memory i wanted to check them out in the bios. just making sure everything was kosher. after trying all of the usual ways of entering the bios,no go. i tried everything under the sun but i could figure out how to enter the bios! THE BIOS! are you kidding me!?! i finally went to the lenovo website to see what the heck was going on and found that i literally have to use a sewing needle or pin to access the friggin bios. im talking like the reset button on a old router! you know, poke around with the needle until you feel some resistance and wait for the bios to load. this is just to much. do people really accidentally jack their systems up so often that they consider this a viable option?!? unbelievable
oh and a bit more ranting about this lovely company. the battery died 8 months after buying it(happy happy joy joy). it was under warranty so i was in no hurry. it would be a simple affair. i figured no sweat ill set up the rma and they will send me a new battery after i send them the dead one right? that seems reasonable to my simple mind. oh noooo they want me to send them the whole friggin laptop for a battery that ive already removed! heres the kicker. not only that but they will assume ZERO responsibility for my rig while its in their hands. im talking in giant yellow caution tape letters on the tech support website. it states that your rig is on its own once it gets there! are you kidding me?! :mad: theres no way in hell i will send you bozos anything after your tech support people tell me they cant be responsible for my rig. the guy said it like he was afraid to tell me! this poor sob. i mean he actually told me that it may come back with scratches etc...yeah right as if i would take that chance. its virtually brand new! the kids have used it twice! never again lenovo. say byebye to this customer.
so i ask you laptop gurus out there, is this the norm? am i expecting to much? either way what manny do you suggest?

sigh, sorry for the rant.

This right here is why for the longest while I went with Apple, still would had it not been for the recent price hikes. I wont pay the premium for myself but I will for the wife/kids because Windows PCs in general are just ****ing garbage unless you build it yourself or research heavily for a specific model swirling in an island of ****. So no I'm not surprised.

I'm going to go out on a potentially unpopular limb here. Doing business with China carries some risks, and Lenovo is IBM's old PC arm. Purchased by, of course, China (where everything is ultimately owned by the government). I've generally had good luck with Dell, but I'm sure there are horror stories aplenty concerning every manufacturer.

Dell will come out to you but they assume no responsibility for damage either and so in many cases it's cheaper to have them show up and you do the work yourself or have them ship you parts. Woefully unimpressed across the board

Windows PCs in general are just ****ing garbage

Huh? We're talking hardware and customer service here. What does that have to do with the OS? I don't see Windows mentioned once in the OP. He could have had Linux installed and his post wouldn't be changed at all. Apple's sub standard hardware isn't much of a comparison, either.

Back