• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lenovo W530 - Stuck at "Loading initial ramdisk" after installation (Arch Linux)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At the suggestion of WizardJames last night on IRC, I'm going to install to the stock hard drive to make sure it isn't something with mSATA or the SSD. If it was, I'd feel pretty stupid. I'm also going to try a recompile with a few more options enabled.

The kernel recompiles did not help, and neither did installing it to the hard drive. I actually expected that to work.

WEEEEELLLL LOOKEE WHATS I GOTS HERE BOYS. CAUGHTS MYSELVES ANOTHER PENGUINS. THESE GUYS JUST KEEP FALLIN IN MY TRAP.

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

Did a MBR install instead of GPT/UEFI and it worked. How the heck does that even make sense.

Yah that is crazy. You'd think if you had reached the point of running the initramfs, you'd have been beyond issues with the boot partition. :confused:

I have no idea, and I don't think I really care, to be completely honest. I can not thank you enough for how much you helped me out here. You were not able to nail down the issue directly, but you kept me moving enough that I found it on my own. :thup:

I'm install all my applications from this laptop (T61) and getting everything configured so I can switch it. I should be able to do that tomorrow or Friday, easily.

I'm just glad you got things working well enough your happy. This was a good experience, I'm going to be experiencing similar difficulties once I decide to install Gentoo on my p9x79. Not looking forward to it. I think to start I'm going to read if you can simulate a UEFI install in a VM. I would assume its possible. I see an option to enable EFI support. Anyway hope the transition goes smoothly for yah.

You should be able to, yes. I know that Virtualbox has the option.

Back