• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lesson I learned about ocing and cpu temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

What I learned: the Tt Volcano 7+ just doesn't cut it for OCing. At the lowest speed setting, even though the full load cpu temp was about 45-46C, I started getting errors in prime95 which didnt appear when I had the 7+ set on the medium speed setting. Even though the temperature is "only" off by 4-5C (from lowest to highest), it's worth the 5 fsb. Quiet as it may be on the low setting, overclocking just sucks :)

I'll probably be upgrading to a sk7 and Tt smart fan 2 in the future. I'll be able to adjust the smart fan 2 to quiet levels,yet still have the 75cfm available(where else the 7+ only had 49cfm w/the same dba level)

NeoMoses

why are you so sure that it's the heatsink? Those temps sound acceptable. On my first 8K3A+, I had a very similar problem. I was running my AX-7 with a delta68, so my temps were slightly lower than yours, but I would also get errors in Prime95 even when FSB was only 2 MHz out of spec. I could either run at 133, 134, or 166 FSB, no other. I RMA'ed the board, got another one, and it runs fine. You may be seeing something similar. It just doesn't sound like the heatsink to me.

spazzkid

i agree with neomoses. maybe sumtimes it aint the cooler. i have a 7+ and it works well for me, considering that i live in a hotter place than you guys.

OP
jlin453

jlin453

Don't know. I'll look into it. Thanks guys

edit: Well, I ran prime w/my 7+ on the medium setting and everything went fine. I switched to the lowest setting and got an error within 5 minutes. Now that I switched back to the medium setting, no errors.

Last edited:

NeoMoses

this might be a good time for you to put a stock cooler on that chip and see if it's stable at default speeds. If not, I would send someone a nasty letter!

OP
jlin453

jlin453

NeoMoses said:
this might be a good time for you to put a stock cooler on that chip and see if it's stable at default speeds. If not, I would send someone a nasty letter!

It is stable at default speeds. (default=12.5*133). Right now, I'm at 11.5*150.