• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Let Me Straighten Things Out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stumpjumper5200 said:
BTW - I want to see detailed articles on the differences, if any, of ATI's and nVidia's FSAA techniques. I'm not going to listen to any guesses or "I think" remarks. I do know that nVidia has their Quincunx AA mode, which supposedly gives smoother lines with the performance hit of about 2x.

Here you go :)

http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/20011123/radeon8500-01.html#smoothvision

scroll down a little for direct screenshot comparisons between ATI's smoothvision, and Nvidia's quincuxx, and standard FSAA techniques...good read...

Here's a little snippet....A closer look at these images reveals the differences among the various FSAA implementations and settings. At 2x FSAA, the Ti500 does a better job of smoothing the jagged edges, but offers lower texture quality - even when compared to ATi's performance setting. At the 4x setting, differences are very hard to make out - the results on both cards are nearly identical. Once again, the Ti500's image is less crisp than the Radeon's. This effect becomes even more pronounced when Nvidia's Quincunx mode is used.

Overclocker550 said:
doesnt matter, if ATI uses multisampling differently in the slightest, its not a fair comparsion. it could be 500% faster, but I dont count that. without FSAA Nvidia has the upper hand, only the radeon9700 pro wins and its so expensive forget it!

no, FSAA on the R300 based cards is optimized for the core, where on previous generations it wasnt, GeforceFX will behave in much the same way the R300 does when FSAA is on (ie very little performance hit compared to power)

OC Noob said:
Nice post.

People on message boards tend to read stuff and then pass it along as fact.

How about a temporary sticky (sticky until these cards are obsolite...in 3 months:p)?

LOL Maybe at that point they can just switch "nVidia" and "ATI" since it'll be time for the next level of one-upsmanship.

With computer equipment, "By the time I can afford it, I'll want the new one, and I'll wish I had bought it when it was new."

ok thats the best explaination for the great speed differences. Nvidia's core before the GeforceFX wasnt optimized yet for FSAA, but now it will, ATI better watch out! :D

All in all, ATI doesn't have to worry about a thing, nor does nVidia. They're both going to always have their time in the spotlight! ATI will dominate, then nVidia, so forth, and so on for many many years to come.

I love when people get ready to rip everybody apart with their new components. Give it 6 months and they'll be at the bottom of the pile :D

Overclocker550 said:
ok thats the best explaination for the great speed differences. Nvidia's core before the GeforceFX wasnt optimized yet for FSAA, but now it will, ATI better watch out! :D

yeah, but im sure Ati will come out with something better than FX soon after that, competition is fun:D

Stumpjumper5200 said:
Yeah, it's a never-ending cycle. It'll just keep going on and on and stuff will keep getting outdated and I get to keep buying and building new stuff :D

...and we'll always have something new to talk about (or beat to death depending on who you ask):D

im seeing some of the same stuff i been seeing so i will bump this, thanks to all that agree and tried to educate people :)

Well, ive had both a 9700pro and ti4600, a combination of theese two would be excellent, the ati for the amazing image quality and fsaa and aa speeds, nvidia for the stable and effecient drivers they put out and could easily live with the speed of a ti4600 wihout aa and fsaa.

for now im back with my ti4600, since the 9700pro didnt support vsync in halflife at the time, and i dont need 16fsaa and aa in cs.

So imo ati lacks drivers like the nvidia detonator, and nvidia lacks iq as ati makes it.

I'm still amazed of how much sharper my desktop were when using the 9700pro :)

But competition is good, and will deliver good products wich will fall failry fast in price because of the competition, just like amd and intel.

Kingdom said:
So imo ati lacks drivers like the nvidia detonator, and nvidia lacks iq as ati makes it.

old news dude... current atis catalyst have vsync and are as good as nvidia detonators...

hmmm this would be a cool #5 funnyperson... i hate that people still believes ati has crap drivers and stand besides this to diss their whole product line...

Back