• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Let's make some noise!!! FOP-32 v. FOP-38 or WBK-38

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steve

Registered
I have a FOP-32 and the noise although noticible isn't bad.... according to the specs the FOP-32 is about 38dBa and the WBK-38 or FOP-38 is about 43dBa.... just curious is this jump in the noise alot? I know this is really a tough question to answer on a bulliten board.... :D

Thanks!!!

I've also seen discrepancies in the noise level of the WBK-38 fan.... some places report 42dBa and some report around 48dBa.... same question... FOP-32 v. WBK-38 or FOP-38 .... is the noise difference "that" much? Given that I'm confortable with the FOP-32 noise....

The issue with the WBK is that it uses the 7000rpm delta fan. Therefore the noise is higher pitched, which is generally perceived as more irritating. I used the WBK with an 80mm, 2.6W Sunon 42CFM case fan. The noise level is lower and not as high pitched . The temps were about 5C lower than with the otherwise good PAL6035 using a YS Tach 27CFM fan.

Yo

OK.... I saw the 80x80 Sunon fan at www.coolerguys.com and they say the noise is 36dBa (???) which is actually less than the stock fan (26 cfm) in the FOP-32 at 38dBa.... am I reading this right or are thier figures screwy??

Another thing... can I just slap the Sunon 80x80 on my FOP-32 HS? or would I be better off getting the WBK-38 HS and the Sunon fan.... is thier much difference between the FOP-32 HS and WBK-38 HS??

As you already know, the smaller the fan & higher rpm it turns makes more noise with a higher dBa level. Delta 60mm 38cfm is like a jet engine whine! Compare the same size fans to each other. Some times the factory ratings are off too. Rule of thumb is to put the largest slower turning fan that meets your airflow requirements because it makes less noise. Paniflo & Sanyo Deski are quiet fans!

Pat

If I were to put a 80x80 Sunon fan on my FOP-32 HS.... how would I attach it? The FOP-32 HS is 66x58.6.... smaller than the Sunon fan...

you have to bend the mounting clips, but it works, cause a lot of people are using it.

Steve (Apr 11, 2001 09:21 a.m.):
OK.... I saw the 80x80 Sunon fan at www.coolerguys.com and they say the noise is 36dBa (???) which is actually less than the stock fan (26 cfm) in the FOP-32 at 38dBa.... am I reading this right or are thier figures screwy??

Another thing... can I just slap the Sunon 80x80 on my FOP-32 HS? or would I be better off getting the WBK-38 HS and the Sunon fan.... is thier much difference between the FOP-32 HS and WBK-38 HS??

The 42CFM fan is about 34dba, but it's a lower noise than the 34dba coming from a 60mm fan, thus more tolerable.

One way to attach the 80mm fan is to use two fan grills and to attach them to the fan. Then you can hook the fan retention springs of the wbk into the fan grill and that holds the fan in place. Not sure if this works with the FOP, since it's a good deal narrower and I do not know what retention mechanism it uses.

Yo

Another factor in the noise a heatsink makes is the airflow through the heatsink itself. It's kinda hard to explain. Hmmm... ok. You can take the same fan and attach it to two different heatsinks and get different decibel readings. The difference in noise levels is caused, I believe, by the turbulence caused by the different heatsink designs. Something w/ a more restrictive airflow design might make more noise than one w/ a more free airflow. I don't know if that's the case, but that's what I surmise. What they usually put on the sites as the decibel rating I think, is the noise the fan makes, regardless of what heatsink is attached. Just my two cents...

-RoninX74

Newbie, I see your reasoning.... :)

If the 38dBa coming off the 26cfm 60x60mm stock FOP-32 fan ... does anyone have any suggestions for the fan that gives the most cfm for this 38dBa limit? I'm thinking about the Sunon 80x80 fan with 42.5cfm. Any suggestions?

Steve (Apr 11, 2001 08:11 a.m.):
I have a FOP-32 and the noise although noticible isn't bad.... according to the specs the FOP-32 is about 38dBa and the WBK-38 or FOP-38 is about 43dBa.... just curious is this jump in the noise alot? I know this is really a tough question to answer on a bulliten board.... :D

Thanks!!!

This is actually quite an easy question to answer from a point of view of sound increase, the rule is for ever increase of 3db you double the sound
i.e your FOP32 = 38db @ 41db it is twice as loud and @ 44db it is 4 times as loud (1x2)(x2) sound is logrithmic and increases expedentially.
now back to reality lets say for arguement sake that the fan you get is 41db even though it is only twice as loud, depending on the pitch it could sound loud or softer depending on your ears.
So the question isn't so much how loud is it, it should be what can I stand...
I came across a site earlier that actually gave you sample sounds of the different fans, if I can find it again I will post it....

i like the WBK cause it is a little better than the others and only like $1 more at some sites.

I just upgraded from an FOP32 to a WBK38, temps dropped about 4 / 5C. As far as the noise, there's a setting in the accessories will help take care of that,
Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Volume control ^

Newby2OC (Apr 13, 2001 07:18 a.m.):
Steve (Apr 11, 2001 08:11 a.m.):

Thanks!!!

This is actually quite an easy question to answer from a point of view of sound increase, the rule is for ever increase of 3db you double the sound
i.e your FOP32 = 38db @ 41db it is twice as loud and @ 44db it is 4 times as loud (1x2)(x2) sound is logrithmic and increases expedentially.
now back to reality lets say for arguement sake that the fan you get is 41db even though it is only twice as loud, depending on the pitch it could sound loud or softer depending on your ears.
So the question isn't so much how loud is it, it should be what can I stand...
I came across a site earlier that actually gave you sample sounds of the different fans, if I can find it again I will post it....

There's some confusion here. 3 dB is NOT twice as loud. It requires double the electrical power into a speaker to get a 3 dB increase -- that's probably what you're confusing. I spent years hacking around as an audio junkie... Here's what I know:

1. One dB is inaudible for some people, but most can tell there's some subtle difference.
2. 2 dB is audible for most people, but not a big deal for many.
3. 3 dB is audible, and probably significant for most people.
4. 10 dB represents twice (or half) as loud (and requires 10 times the electrical power to produce in a loudspeaker -- ie, if 10watts gives you 90 dB, to get 100dB, you'd need to feed that same speaker 100watts.)

So to answer the original question, 5 dB is quite significant, very audible. It’s a big difference.

I have the YS Tech / FOP32-1and heard it compared with the Delta -- in 2 PCs, side by side. The YSTech is loud, to me, in a kind of rumbly, whiny way. The Delta just screams like a banshee. It is LOUD. No way I’d touch that sucker. It’s not just a volume difference – the high frequency output seems to be at the perfect 4kHz spot that irritates people to death.

I don't even use the YSTech on my FOP32-1 anymore, replaced it with an Everflow from a Volcano2. That’s a good fan (but Volcano2 is not a great cooler), quieter and “smoother” sounding with about the same airflow as the YSTech. I run it at 7v, like all my fans. Decided adequate cooling with low noise was preferable to great cooling in a factory zone.

I recently built a system for a friend. Thunderbird 1gig. I used the WBK38 and it is LOUD. With the case open I couldn't even hear the TV sitting right beside it. With the case closed it was still very noticeable. It cooled well, but too loud for my tastes.

Back