• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LF LP ram for a large aftermarket CPU cooler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth3si

hi, the new ram I am wanting to buy is the G.Skill Ares 8GB 1866c9 low profile, primarily to fit under the big air cooler I'm intending to buy with the ram. The ram is about $50 atm, which is my current budget, but it can be $15-$25 more depending on the performance gain. Is this a good choice or should I go higher speed if it makes a noticeable performance difference at a reasonable cost, or back at 1600 if there is no significant difference at all?

In case you are wondering, I am building a semi-new gaming rig. The parts are a mix of old and new.

Antec 300 Illusion
Antec Neo Eco 620c (3 yrs old FWIW, hopefully this will have a few more years in it)
AMD mobo ---> ASRock Z97 Killer
AMD Phenom II X4 960T OC @ 4GHz ---> i5-4690k OC @ 4.5ghz
Hyper 212 EVO ---> Phanteks PH-TC14PE (in the unlikely event the CPU needs 1.35V to reach 4.5Ghz, and it's $55 AR atm :p)
AMD GPU ---> EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ (04G-P4-3975-KR) OC +100mhz
G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb 1600c9 (won't work with the new cooler, even if fan is moved above it, it will protrude outside the case according to my calculations) ---> G.Skill Ares 8GB 1866c9 (to fit under the Phanteks cooler :))

1866 is basically the sweet spot for gaming. Anything more isn't usually worth it unless you are benchmarking.

Get the CAS9 ARES and see if you can even tighten them to like 8-9-9-26 maybe. :)

roger that, i will see if i can tighten the timings even further when they arrive :thup:

Back