• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LG DVD-RW & Strange Circles on the Disks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alarm2001

Hello,

I own a DVD/RW LG GSA-H42L SUPER MULTI LIGHTSCRIBE DVD REWRITER , and today i noticed something i have never seen before with my previews dvd or cd -rw .

When burning a cd or dvd , no matter what brand (i tried 3 different) i see symmetric circles on the dvds being created. Now what i mean with that.
I burned for example a dvd-r (also tried dvd+r) without multisession, and lets say like about for every 1000mb i see rings be created. So i got a ring for the 1000mb , a second ring for the 2000mb and so on, The point is that as we go to the outer side of the dvd, the rings fade out slowly.
As higher the speed is , as many rings i see being created. For example with a 4x i see only 2 rings being created on a dvd.
Although, the dvd as also the cds are burned succesfully on every speed.
Firstly i thought it could be the software, so i used something else and not nero, but the same. Then i thought it could be the os, so i tried under linux. but i had exactly the same results. I wanted to check for errors from the nero tools. but my drive is not supporter for an error check.
As i see this. it looks like it burns with a stronger laser beam on low speeds, and as it speeds up from 4x to 8x slowly, and from 8x to 12x... the laser beam also gets weaker thats why i get also those kind of circles created.

As i said, i am kind of confused as i dont know if this is something normal, or not and i should better return this product. I got the advice of doing a firmware upgrade , but i dont want to do that as i lose my guarantee.

For that reason , i am here to ask you, and year your opinions if thats something i shouldnt worry about. It's just something i never saw before all those years i burn cds and dvds thats why i thought posting.

Thank you in advance.

Those "lines" are just the melted/cooled plastic from burning data onto the disc. This is perfectly normal it will happen regardless of how you try to burn the data.

well i don't get any lines. but cicles with a radius of 2-3cm about .
2 or more according the speed i use.

I know i can see just a very thin ring if i do a multisession cd/dvd , but thats not it .

To give u the image of what i am talking about. Imagine a dvd , burned with multissesion 4 times, with 4 different drives. As each drive has a different laser strengh you will see also 4 different kind of burnins on the dvd. Thats what i get about. Don't know how clear that is. Sorry

Well, try burning a full disk, then testing it. If it works, then there's nothing to worry about. Otherwise, well idk.

well, created a full cd also. Also to test it, i copied the whole dvd on the hard disk again and it was copied without any problem. But the rings still exist.

My guess is that your drive is burning discs with a Z-CLV (zoned constant linear velocity) strategy. A plain CLV drive tries to keep the linear burning speed constant, resulting in a slow decrease in spindle RPM as the drive moves toward the outer edge of the disc. Z-CLV improves on this for drives capable of high speed burning by splitting the disc into several zones which will each be burned at CLV (though each zone is burned at a different velocity than the others). Since each zone will have the disc spinning at a different rate each zone will recieve a different ammount of laser power, resulting in the concentric rings.

Wikipedia has a good article on CLV (with a mention of Z-CLV) here.

JigPu

finally a complete answer with basis. so i guess its something normal.

thank you a lot :)

Back