• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LG OLED TV spotted in Korean store showing James Cameron's magnum opus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/lg-oled-tv-spotted-in-korean-store-showing-james-camerons-magnu/

this OMG OMG OMG OMG moment! First OLED was from sony at 11in for $2k, so this makes the second manufacturer to have one in the market. we are still waiting on Samsung for OLED but they stated they are working on AMOLED, which is a higher resolution OLED display (1080p in a 17in screen). now they are growing in size, this is the next step and about time!

now LG just needs to sell these for use in 15in laptops! :drool:

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I was looking for OLED news updates yesterday.

So what, still years away for affordable, large?

3D Plasma appears to be heading for release this year. I don't like models which use mirrors like my Panasonic because my TV is parallel to my desk and this is a problem, too bad OLED is nowhere near ready to replace it. What do you see as the roadmap for these?

Attachments

• Ghosting.jpg
    Ghosting.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 197
OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
really dunno C6, i mean i didnt see anything coming from LG about OLED displays then boom! i did find this link though
and is something else i was expecting... my jaw dropped when the guy from LG said it was a AMOLED! OMG!

wonder if Sammy is selling AMOLED panels to LG or what? cause Sammy was the only one i knew of doing AMOLED's.

as far as a road map though, i would hope they have 40in screens by end of 2011/ early 2012. AMOLED's is really going to be great for mobile PC's and for desktop pc's too! i mean 1080p in a 17in screen.. might be a small screen but that is a high solution, that would mean a really high Dot per inch!

c627627

As usual, new tech like 3D will be 'spensive but yes

3D Plasma will be announced by Panasonic at CES this year, and it will hit Europe in June 2010.

c627627

Before Avatar 3D started at the movies, they showed previews in 3D.

Although I've never seen Shrek, the 3D preview for it was the first thing I saw in 3D and I was like :eek:. I don't know how someone felt the first time they walked into a movie theater in the 1900's but let me tell you, I now have a pretty good idea how they felt!

3D is different and for a tech savvy person, it's just :drool:

Theocnoob

I was looking for OLED news updates yesterday.

So what, still years away for affordable, large?

3D Plasma appears to be heading for release this year. I don't like models which use mirrors like my Panasonic because my TV is parallel to my desk and this is a problem, too bad OLED is nowhere near ready to replace it. What do you see as the roadmap for these?

I have a similar Panny TV. I find sitting infront of it solves this problem :rolleyes:

c627627

ha-ha genius! :)

I don't sit at my desk to watch TV but I'd sure like to glance over once in a while :p.

Old Pioneers had Plasma technology which did not involve mirrors like Panasonics did. Other companies interestingly had mirrors for one size then other tech for other sizes of the same brand.

Either way, I personally would like no mirrors in my next TV set, if that's OK. ;)

Joeteck

Retired
This is a huge breakthrough! I love it! I bet zero heat and much lighter. This will be the true picture frame TV...

ratbuddy

3d plasma has been out for a while, although only at 1366x768 IIRC.

This is probably the year we'll start seeing "120hz" TVs that can actually accept a 120hz input signal.

c627627

Been out of the loop since I got my Plasma, linkage? How many 3D models are there. Was there even content for them to speak of?

ratbuddy

Been out of the loop since I got my Plasma, linkage? How many 3D models are there. Was there even content for them to speak of?

There's a few different Samsungs, google "Samsung 3d plasma" and you'll find 'em. Content, not really, just computer sources. Nvidia 3d Vision works with em, and I think there's some other glasses that work too.

c627627

I take this Avatar thing is going to be the first 3D Blu-Ray or what? Are specs for that even approved?

Clearly the 3D feature is the wave of the future, no doubt. But they would have to make movies in 3D, right? You can't just take old movies and release them in 3D, so this isn't like they'll be asking us to rebuild an old movie collection?

Theocnoob

ha-ha genius! :)

I don't sit at my desk to watch TV but I'd sure like to glance over once in a while :p.

Old Pioneers had Plasma technology which did not involve mirrors like Panasonics did. Other companies interestingly had mirrors for one size then other tech for other sizes of the same brand.

Either way, I personally would like no mirrors in my next TV set, if that's OK. ;)

Stop making me feel bad about the tv I bought a month ago :sly:

c627627

Yes in 2012 but "LG says the 40-inch will still be “fairly expensive” compared to similar sized TVs using other technology, but they expect OLED TV materials to be cheaper than that of LCD TVs by 2016."

6 years!? :cry: