LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor Reliability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dorito Bandit

For those of you who own an LG ultrawide gaming monitor, how long have you owned it, and are you happy with it? If you've had any issues with it, what type of issue(s)? How was LG's support? Also, does your monitor put out a lot of heat?

I ask about LG ultrawides because that's what I am interested in, but you can tell us about any LG gaming monitor, if you wish. Would love to get your feedback!

Thanks

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

GL. I hope someone has this monitor and can help. Personally, I stay away from ultra-wides because not all games scale properly to the odd resolution.

I've never used LG support so I can't answer that. As far as heat, look at the power use... It's a monitor though, not a 300W+ Video card. ;)

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member

GL. I hope someone has this monitor and can help. Personally, I stay away from ultra-wides because not all games scale properly to the odd resolution.

I've never used LG support so I can't answer that. As far as heat, look at the power use... It's a monitor though, not a 300W+ Video card. ;)

the only game I ever had any scaling issues was battlefield V it was just the gui that was scaled weird, even old games like CS and Portal run fine at 21:9. Some Games do blackbar the sides and only give you a 16:9 window as to keep you from "getting an advantage" over other players because you have a wider FOV, example... fall guys, paladins, realm royale, and a few others. Most AAA titles all give the full screen use, eg. Call of duty, Battlefield, pubg, dayz, arma, ect.

OP: I've had mine for a few years haven't had a single issue with it so far except the usual the stand is a little wobbly but that seems standard for any monitor these days.

Dorito Bandit

I'll also be watching movies and videos on it, plus, the bigger screen will be great for productivity. I could also have several different college football games up on there at one time. A BIG plus! :p

And the reason I ask if these monitors put out a lot of heat; is because I've seen a few reviews on Amazon and other sites, where some mention how the monitor worked great for the first few weeks or months, then the screen malfunctioned in some way, or the monitor just died. And when I look at images of the housing on these LG monitors, I can't help but wonder if there is adequate ventilation holes on them. As you well know, heat can kill electronics over long periods of use. So I do wonder if maybe this is a possibility? I've never seen anyone mention this, though. Looks like the only vent holes are the red circle area.

Look at the back of this ultrawide LG monitor, and see what you think. I do not see any ventilation holes on the sides. Could be some on the bottom and top, though.

1.jpg

2.jpg

the only game I ever had any scaling issues was battlefield V it was just the gui that was scaled weird, even old games like CS and Portal run fine at 21:9. Some Games do blackbar the sides and only give you a 16:9 window as to keep you from "getting an advantage" over other players because you have a wider FOV, example... fall guys, paladins, realm royale, and a few others. Most AAA titles all give the full screen use, eg. Call of duty, Battlefield, pubg, dayz, arma, ect.

OP: I've had mine for a few years haven't had a single issue with it so far except the usual the stand is a little wobbly but that seems standard for any monitor these days.

I'd be playing BFV, and have done so on a friend's ASUS ultrawide with no issues. And I honestly don't remember if there were any menu issues or not. The game looks great on such a wide screen.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Not that I can tell, but the power brick, definitely gets hot! You better get a fan over it!

One that I have sitting around, on the floor as I'm typing this! It's the 29UM69G-B.

Yeah, I think most all power bricks get pretty hot. The one for my laptop and router does. I have read some comments on other monitors mentioning the screen itself would get very warm. That don't sound to good. Heck, LG's more expensive 38" ultrawide has a fan in it.

Thanks, guys! Hopefully more peeps will chime in. 👍

tRidiot

Premium Member

Ordered a 34" MSI this week for my son, he plays mostly Destiny 2, reports look like it scales fine on UW monitor setups. I'm interested to see.

Dorito Bandit

Ordered a 34" MSI this week for my son, he plays mostly Destiny 2, reports look like it scales fine on UW monitor setups. I'm interested to see.

I think most all newer games support ultrawide screens. Now, you may run into issues if you have a double ultrawide setup.

Best of luck to you and your son. And I bet he is really going to enjoy that monitor.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

You better get a fan over it!
:-/ :screwy:

Sure, some of these get warm to the touch, indeed. But none need a fan or should you go through the effort to figure out how to put one on there. Seriously.

tRidiot

Premium Member

I think most all newer games support ultrawide screens. Now, you may run into issues if you have a double ultrawide setup.

Best of luck to you and your son. And I bet he is really going to enjoy that monitor.

He'd better enjoy it enough to do his chores without the damned eyerolls...

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner

If you have issues with GUI scaling look into Flawless Widescreen. I routinely use it for Surround scaling.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member

If you have issues with GUI scaling look into Flawless Widescreen. I routinely use it for Surround scaling.

I actually think that's what i used to fix it in battlefield, it scaled my gui back down to 16:9 but left my wide FOV

motherboard1

Do it. I've owned two and I'm not going back. For those of you who are not aware, you can use the text file to position your UI wherever you want it in battlefield games. I have my map just to the left of my cross hair for better awareness in BF3 & 4, never really got hard into V though didn't bother messing with stuff. 99% of games support it now and of the handful of games that don't, you can usually always hex edit the ultra wide resolution in those old Indie games. A quick google search will do it.

Like somebody mentioned also Flawlesswidescreen tool will handle most older games automatically but I think it's creator has long since ceased adding games to it.

dfonda

Senior Golfer

I know this thread is LG but the 34" in my sig does G sync for under $400 and looks incredible. It is a Samsung Panel. No heat or any other issues. I'll go to a 39" or 43" as soon as they make one...I like a lower profile , so I can still see out my picture window.

Which LG model was the OP looking at?