• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lga 775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_zo_brehm

Are the new LGA 775 chips overclockable, or did Intel put the 10% lock on them? They are on newegg for a relatively good price and I'm gonna get one if you can overclock them!

OP
beau_zo_brehm

beau_zo_brehm

ok.... this thread has been up for almost an hour with no response, and only one other respone on this board... WITH 15 PEOPLE VIEWING!!! Do ya'll have your keyboards stuck up your *** or what!?!?!?!? really, i was jk... I'd appreciate it if someone replied though! :p

Cheers! :beer:

OP
beau_zo_brehm

beau_zo_brehm

ok... dont even answer now... I spent the last 2 hours figuring out for myself that the new LGA 775 chips are indeed overclockable!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Arkangyl

Yea, but they are capped @ a 25% oc.

You see, Asus, Abit and co. managed to break the lock to some degree but Anand (I think it was him) with a 3.6E ES could only get a 25% OC from the CPU regardless of multiplier

OP
beau_zo_brehm

beau_zo_brehm

i c.... so do u think it would be better to get one of these, because it also give u upgradeability(unOCable cpu's will eventually get faster than ones that are OCable) or get a 478 socket 3 ghz processor?

NoteUser

Not all 478 are equal.

It's the chipset that companies are fighting against because Intel would rather have people buying a faster processor than allow us to overclock tham.

For now AMD is the only 64 out there. It's obvious enough that VIA stinks.

Last edited:

Sjaak

Well, 25% on a 3.6 is still a great machine ;)

There certainly will be new BIOS'ses and hacks out to circumvent the protection, if it would even work properly.

Sjaak

NoteUser said:
It's the chipset that companies are fighting against because Intel would rather have people buying a faster processor than allow us to overclock tham...

Hmz. being a frequent reader of the oc frontpage, Ed told us like 10 times the last year that we are only a meager market, with not enough turnover to be taken special care of. Then why would they create that overclock prevention just for us???????

NoteUser

Sjaak said:
Hmz. being a frequent reader of the oc frontpage, Ed told us like 10 times the last year that we are only a meager market, with not enough turnover to be taken special care of. Then why would they create that overclock prevention just for us???????

Your right that we are a small market.

I can see Intel etc would loose profit if everyone overclocked but the funny thing is most people don't build their own computers due to various reasons such as the fact that they know there on there own when there is a problem.

There's only a handful of brands that are on our side. The only good news is that they know DDR2 has to be improved especially the timing.

Drop-Top

If Intel believes they can profit by capping OCs, they will. Even if we are a small market, we are still a market to contend with. Look at the forums. How many people OC'ed their comps 5 years ago? Even if that growth doesn't continue at even a fourth of that rate, they eventually are going to have market share problems with High-end Procs. The only real hope is AMD, and if they decide to continue to work with us, then intel will have to follow suit at risk of loosing major market share.

OP
beau_zo_brehm

beau_zo_brehm

hmmm.... is it even legal for intel to be locking these processors? i mean, once we buy it, we should be able to do w/e we can with it... I bet if everyone here in the forums combined to start a "Overclockers Foundation" and went to court with intel we would win the case! :p I mean c'mon the only defense intel has for it is "safety issues" which is BS and people OC high-end processors all the time and u dont see n e one gettin hurt......

Chris_F

beau_zo_brehm said:
hmmm.... is it even legal for intel to be locking these processors? i mean, once we buy it, we should be able to do w/e we can with it... I bet if everyone here in the forums combined to start a "Overclockers Foundation" and went to court with intel we would win the case! :p I mean c'mon the only defense intel has for it is "safety issues" which is BS and people OC high-end processors all the time and u dont see n e one gettin hurt......

No. Intel can do whatever they want with their chips. And you can do whatever you can with it.

Sjaak

beau_zo_brehm said:

Well, untill they sell it to us, intel could do anything to them. Even make them green and smell like high heaven if they wanted. When we buy them however, we agree to that all, so theres no point in complaining about it.

Darryl_D

wel you see all you are stating is that intel has done nothing wrong. Up unti the time that you purchase a processor from intel it belongs to intel. Intel has the right to do whatever they please with that processor until you buy it. Once you buy the processor feel free to do with it whatever you want. YOu could stick it in a toilet and let is stay for four months if you really wanted (i suppose). Bottom line is this intel can stop us from o/cing their cpus. We don't matter to huge companies like intel. Companies that do matter to intel are companies like dell, sony, hp... these are the guys that intel has the multi million dollar contracts with.. and unfortunately (for us) these guys also don't promote o/cing...

OP
beau_zo_brehm

beau_zo_brehm

Darryl_D said:
wel you see all you are stating is that intel has done nothing wrong. Up unti the time that you purchase a processor from intel it belongs to intel. Intel has the right to do whatever they please with that processor until you buy it. Once you buy the processor feel free to do with it whatever you want. YOu could stick it in a toilet and let is stay for four months if you really wanted (i suppose). Bottom line is this intel can stop us from o/cing their cpus. We don't matter to huge companies like intel. Companies that do matter to intel are companies like dell, sony, hp... these are the guys that intel has the multi million dollar contracts with.. and unfortunately (for us) these guys also don't promote o/cing...

hmm.... maybe intel needs to land a deal with alienware :p

Kuroimaho

beau_zo_brehm said:

Win that case ? Huh ?
They sell whatever they want. You are not forced to buy it, if you don't like the lock don't buy it. If you would win that case next thing would be sue intel for not giving cpu's for free.

Overclocking is not a crime, so they won't sue you for it, but Intel sells higher clock speed CPUs and of course they would prefer if you buy those instead of getting a 2.4C and OC to 3.6

mr.spock

I wanted 2 buy an ES Intel chip before, but of course I couldnt!!!
But Im sure that somehow; somewhere; from someone I'll be able 2 purchase 1!!! :temper:

What was that thing about that 25% "OC Lock"???
I wont believe in that until I see it w/ my own eyes.
Why would Intel do such a thing??? :bang head

In a few years I'm sure 2 buy a new mobo, and Im sure that I'll buy LGA775!!!
Supporting IntelFanatikKru!!! Yeah!!! :attn:
Nowadays Im wondering about the new generation of processors (after LGA775; Socket754; etc.). GHz??? FSB??? Ext.Clock??? :beer: