• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA2066 upgrade please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzfspecvr6

I currently have a 7800x, I got Halo coming out, diablo II remaster, battlefield.. Would like to play these games on 4k high settings high fps, I currently have a 1080TI

I believe right now my cpu is pretty bad and I cant even max out my 1080TI cause my CPU is a bottle neck, what would be the best cpu to get for my situation, looking to spend around 600-800 ish on a cpu only.

would a I9-10900X be a good upgrade to allow more fps / higher quality 4k game play? its around 600 so it fits perfect with my budget.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

or maybe a i7 7740x ??? looks like its a little faster

Brutal-Force

Honestly, if we are only talking about gaming, I don't think you will see that much of a difference.

I would ask:

1) have you tried overclocking your CPU? (your Sig still has a 5820k)
2) If so, how high are you overclocking to? HWBOT shows you should be able to hit in the 4.7-4.9Ghz range.
3) My guess is that with a 10900x (I had a 7900x), you will probably hit around the same frequency.
4) So the only benefit is cores and I would say, going from 6 to 10 cores might be good for a productivity aspect, but for gaming, you probably won't see much difference.
5) A GTX 1080Ti has gotten a little old. While I only own a GTX 1080, I find that 4k is a struggle for high FPS. Even in best cases, I see like 40-60 FPS and I have a 10980xe.
6) You also referenced a 7740x, which has less cores, hence the higher speed. But it is probably less cores than ideal. Right now, it is usually recommended to have 8 cores, so leaning towards the 10900x.
7) https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html is a link that shows the best CPUs of 2021. Socket 2066 would be 10980xe and that's about it. That can be had at Ebay for about $875, and about $1100 everywhere else.
8) For that price, you could pick up a Ryzen 5900 and a Motherboard that would be better than the 10980xe in gaming, the problem is availability and both items would be about the same cost.

Honestly, if I was in your situation, I would invest in other system components before spending anymore on a CPU upgrade. You need a better GPU if you want better gaming. Maybe speakers, more ram, a new SSD, mouse, keyboard.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
At 4k, your 7800x you mentioned is not really a problem in most titles. The 1080ti isn't a 4k/60/ultra card in a lot of titles. Upgrade the gpu. ;)

7740x is clearly a downgrade. You don't want to go below 6c/12t today.

OP
Y

yzfspecvr6

When I play warzone and other games my cpu seems to be maxed out, figured I was due for a cpu upgrade.

Okay I think your right on the upgrade to amd, does seem cheaper actually and better benchmarks.

Upgrading gpu right now just can't happen they are so highly priced, even my 1080ti still 500+ on ebay.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Warzone is a unique snowflake in that respect. It's one of the only games that can actually utilize 18c/36t evenly (I've got a 10980XE too). Nkt sure how much more, but that game seems to take what you give it.

You'll see some improvement from that skylake based based processor to our cascade lake for hedt, but amd mainstream is where it's at for a higher budget.

Brutal-Force

When I play warzone and other games my cpu seems to be maxed out, figured I was due for a cpu upgrade.

Okay I think your right on the upgrade to amd, does seem cheaper actually and better benchmarks.
Upgrading gpu right now just can't happen they are so highly priced, even my 1080ti still 500+ on ebay.

This is a reoccurring trend. I was in the same dilemma as you. I upgraded from a 7900x to a 10980xe, but I was also able to pick up a used processor for 500 bucks. I soon learned that a 10980xe consumes more power than my 7900x did. I ended upgrading the motherboard and the power supply. All things being equal, I would probably have been better off spending the same money to upgrade to a 5900x, but I still ended up with the performance of a 5950x, but only because of my lucky pick up of the processor.

Now I have a full system and can put together a 7900x system from my old parts and give to my daughter.

If you have a itchy trigger finger to buy, know that you probably won't be doing much upgrading until GPU prices come down. If you haven't already done so, invest some money in some nice peripherals. I just recently upgraded my case, all Noctua Fans a 420 Arctic Freezer II and new power supply. It was cheaper than a RTX 3060 which for me wouldn't even be an upgrade.

OP
Y

yzfspecvr6

What about i9 11900K

Looks to be #1 on the cpu bench mark and I can pick it up on ebay around 400 ish.

Is that the number 1 budget cou right now?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-11900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7800X/4110vsm304816

My monitors and everything else is solid and I'm happy, really just want more fps. Thought my cpu was bottle neck compared to my 1080ti to be honest. Everytime I play any games my cpu seems to be maxed out.

Brutal-Force

Budget CPU is a relative term. In terms of HEDT being between 600-1000 dollars, a i9 11900k is cheap. That said, its two more cores, it can turbo boost to 5.3Ghz, but a good motherboard will cost you $250-500 bucks. So you are still looking at between $700-1000 after tax.

In gaming, it will out perform even my 10980x, but the amount is negligible. Your GPU is still going to hold you back.

OP
Y

yzfspecvr6

Not quite sure what to do. Just looking at gpus right now, yikes.....

Was looking at a 3080 but dayum son. Video cards are crazy expensive right now.

Brutal-Force

Same here, but I won't pay more than $700-800 for a GPU at this point, and I feel that the minimum upgrade would be a 3080 AND I don't really game very often anymore (interested in the new Battlefield 2042), I will sitting on my current system which is maxed out except for a new GPU. That and my current GPU will still play those games on my 4k 60hz monitor.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Fwiw user benchmark is unbelievably weighted towards Intel. You're better off looking at actual reviews of the products from trusted sites.

Brutal-Force

Fwiw user benchmark is unbelievably weighted towards Intel. You're better off looking at actual reviews of the products from trusted sites.

This is why I told him, IF he was going to upgrade, he would probably be better off going with AMD. I generally look at HWBOT and get a good feel for what does what best. Unfortunately, they don't have a filterable spreadsheet. If they do, I would be using that.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Both userbench and hwbot I wouldn't use for judging performance. Janus mentioned one reason userbench is MEH. Userbench results could be at stock, or overclocked and the results are all over the place - tough to discern between them IMO. Hwbot results are generally from overclocking with severely tweaked memory and many under sub-ambient temps. When I look for cpu performance, I check reviews. Our front page, anantech, tpu, Tom's, all solid and cover a wide gamut of activities.

But yes, userbench I'd stay away from.

OP
Y

yzfspecvr6

Is there a better website? Kinda hard to go through all the cpu models, haven't done a upgrade and been out the pc world for awhile, I got no clue what the newest amd or Intel cpu is anymore. Haven't looked up pc parts in about 4 years.

Noted.. thanks.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Is there a better website? Kinda hard to go through all the cpu models, haven't done a upgrade and been out the pc world for awhile, I got no clue what the newest amd or Intel cpu is anymore. Haven't looked up pc parts in about 4 years.

Noted.. thanks.

Check this review from our front page https://www.overclockers.com/intel-i9-11900k-and-i5-11600k-review-stopgap-10nm/
Compares new Intel Vs AMD in several benchmarks. Gaming they're all fairly even. The 5800X and 11900K are a fairly even match but you can move up to 5900X 12c/24t for about the same price as the 11900K which is 8c/16t

Brutal-Force

I have a GTX 1080 non Ti.

The reason I picked HWBot is because I can look at screenshots to see what other hardware they are using together and what settings they are using. It takes a lot off effort to put a reasonable analysis together this way. As you can see, three of us have differeing opinions and none of us are "right". There is no easy approach to an upgrade and results may vary depending on ALL of your hardware. Janus is right, a 5800x will get you about the same performance as a 11900k, but that wasn't your question. You asked what would be a Socket 2066 upgrade. Honestly? Either a used 7980xe, 9980xe or 10980xe. Otherwise hold off. All of those listed will not help your gaming performance as much as a new 30 series GPU would.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Hwbot gives unrealistic comparisons. Overclockers are modifying way too many things and run at the edge of stability. It barely ever works the same in a typical gaming PC.

Recently I was comparing some CPUs on my PC. I actually went from 4650G to 7800X, next to 5900X, 11700K, and at the end, I'm using 11600K. The main reason why I picked the 11600K is that I barely see any difference in games between 6 and 8 or 12 cores, while it boosts to 5GHz on single cores what bumps FPS in older games, and heats up significantly less than, for example, 5900X. It also costs 40% of the 5900X (I will try to sell 5900X soon). On the other hand, 7800X wasn't much slower, it was heating up way too much and this was the only issue as I'm using an ITX case with RX6800XT inside.

I wouldn't upgrade 7800X, unless you can get a very cheap CPU with more cores, that can make 4.7GHz+ at reasonable voltages. Soon there will be DDR5 so new CPUs, new chipsets, and new RAM. Listed games are based on old engines and are not using multi-core CPUs as good as the latest titles so investing in a new and expensive CPU right now is a waste of money. Old games will run fast anyway, new games will need a better graphics card but graphics card prices are ridiculous. Personally, I would consider getting a gaming console that probably will have the same games on the list and will cost significantly less than the full PC upgrade.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
Up until a couple weeks ago a 7800x played everything I play at 2560x1080 in warzone I might have got 60% cpu usage? i dont see why you wouldn't get decent fps with that setup... my kids play on i5-9400's + gtx 970 and it plays medium-high just fine 90-115fps @ 1080p.

As others have mentioned gpu is your killer at 4k.

after typing this I scrolled up to check what OP has said.... just realized he hasn't. lol