• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA2066 upgrade please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
In part because Warzone actually uses every single core/thread you have (up to a certain count... not sure what that is). Today, 6c/12t feels like a minimum where you know VERY few games are held back by core/thread count... whereas 8c/16t, there are none(? - maybe outside of warzone?). If I was buying today and planned to keep said CPU for a couple of years, I wouldn't go less than 8c/16t to get the best results. :thup:

+1 to not using Hwbot... that's just as bad as userbench, in particular if you don't know what your're really looking at. Most results, especially the top ones, are all tweaked versus 99% of users don't go into that level of tweaking for a mere couple % difference.

Brutal-Force

Womack,

I agree your points. My point was, that if you look at HWBOT and you find a processor, ram and gpu running stock speeds and compare them with two or more of the same, you will get a general idea of how that performs.

Unlike other websites, you don't get to see that same combination. A person has to understand the limitations of their own hardware, otherwise all the numbers in the world won't help them make a good decision. One benchmark hardly makes a compelling reason to make a change. Sometimes people change all of their hardware for "newer stuff" only to say, gee, I should have just stuck with what I had, its only 2% better, but cost me $1000.

I am not telling him to upgrade anything other than his graphics card. Exactly the same as you.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I'd rather look at a quality review. At least those you know the playing field is even and you can make direct comparisons without looking up dozens of entries to TRY and find stock (it is Hwbot, and although there are stock results, they are few and far between). Just feels like a lot of effort when quality reviews tell you a lot more about performance from many different angles and fewer clicks.

I don't need to see two or more of the same CPU at stock speeds to compare. If there's a difference, everything else being equal, that's the motherboard running the CPU differently... at Hwbot, who knows what that difference could be... anything from OS (tweaked or not, W10 or W10 21H1?) to dual-rank vs single rank RAM, etc. Just too many variables to walk away well-informed IMO. As much as I participated back in the day and knew it well, I never went there to compare anything except my overclocked results to others. :thup: :grouphug:

Brutal-Force

I'd rather look at a quality review. At least those you know the playing field is even and you can make direct comparisons without looking up dozens of entries to TRY and find stock (it is Hwbot, and although there are stock results, they are few and far between). Just feels like a lot of effort when quality reviews tell you a lot more about performance from many different angles and fewer clicks.

I don't need to see two or more of the same CPU at stock speeds to compare. If there's a difference, everything else being equal, that's the motherboard running the CPU differently... at Hwbot, who knows what that difference could be... anything from OS (tweaked or not, W10 or W10 21H1?) to dual-rank vs single rank RAM, etc. Just too many variables to walk away well-informed IMO. As much as I participated back in the day and knew it well, I never went there to compare anything except my overclocked results to others. :thup: :grouphug:

ED, I am kinda turned off by reviews these days, because you can't be sure if someone is not just a shill. I watch so many youtube videos which STILL do not answer some basic questions. There are a ton of people who only do an unboxing. That is helpful to see if it is pretty. Also, preliminary reviews only help with just that.... preliminary. You know that it takes a while to dial in something for performance. Then there is personal bias. I.e. intel vs. AMD or Nvidia vs AMD.

You say quality reviews and in part, I can get behind that, but you can't rule out bias or incomplete reviews. I have thanked people in forums for including a disclaimer in their review stating things like "your results may vary", or this was done by overvolting my CPU, or your computer will sound like a tornado while running this.

Everyone's experiences are personal and at this point, I don't even take most reviews at face value anymore because even two people can have a different experience from a quality piece of equipment. One bad and one good.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Sounds like the problem is your source for reviews. I personally stay away from 99% of videos. I feel our site doesn't have bias, Anand CPU reviews are top notch along with TPU. THere are others (HW Unboxed is typically solid).

I'm not sure what you mean by preliminary reviews and dialing something in. What people 'dial in' after the fact varies so dramatically, that in my mind that information is, mostly, useless (hence my opinion on sourcing info from hwbot). You want to see stock vs stock to tell you the performance difference. Once overclocking gets involved, all bets are off. You can obviously get more out of a water cooled high speed RAM system than stock cooler max support ram speed.

Of course, read more than one review... you should do that even if it's your favorite non-bias site.

As far as personal bias goes.... that should be pretty obvious for most people. Look at the numbers and not the lip service and draw your own conclusion. I use 'other' reviews just for sanity checks and to see if the numbers 'jive' with everyone else. That said, when I think someone is biased, I often look in the mirror first to see what I may be missing that has someone feeling so differently I think their judgment is clouded.

I have to admit, I see A LOT of people complaining about shill reviewers and the reality is there are very few out there like that. An overwhelming majority are trying to do a good job and have their heart set in the right place. Sometimes you see overzealous people that don't have the knowledge getting into it, but those typically don't last long and aren't big reviewers/youtubers in the first place. Obviously we aren't talking about unboxings for CPU/Mobo reviews...but articles that have the information you need (why would ya bring that up?).

The point is to find reviews you like and go from there. They will give you a much more broad and accurate picture than what the hwbot in total shows you. Overclocking is always a "YMMV" thing so what you see someone get in a review will be different from person to person even with the same exact hardware. Anyway, to each their own, I just never saw value in Hwbot results for hardware (outside of overclocking potential, which for those ambient cooled peeps, doesn't mean much - it's the fun of the game, tweaking).

Brutal-Force

Sounds like the problem is your source for reviews. I personally stay away from 99% of videos. I feel our site doesn't have bias, Anand CPU reviews are top notch along with TPU. THere are others (HW Unboxed is typically solid).

I'm not sure what you mean by preliminary reviews and dialing something in. What people 'dial in' after the fact varies so dramatically, that in my mind that information is, mostly, useless (hence my opinion on sourcing info from hwbot). You want to see stock vs stock to tell you the performance difference. Once overclocking gets involved, all bets are off. You can obviously get more out of a water cooled high speed RAM system than stock cooler max support ram speed.

Of course, read more than one review... you should do that even if it's your favorite non-bias site.

As far as personal bias goes.... that should be pretty obvious for most people. Look at the numbers and not the lip service and draw your own conclusion. I use 'other' reviews just for sanity checks and to see if the numbers 'jive' with everyone else. That said, when I think someone is biased, I often look in the mirror first to see what I may be missing that has someone feeling so differently I think their judgment is clouded.

I have to admit, I see A LOT of people complaining about shill reviewers and the reality is there are very few out there like that. An overwhelming majority are trying to do a good job and have their heart set in the right place. Sometimes you see overzealous people that don't have the knowledge getting into it, but those typically don't last long and aren't big reviewers/youtubers in the first place. Obviously we aren't talking about unboxings for CPU/Mobo reviews...but articles that have the information you need (why would ya bring that up?).

The point is to find reviews you like and go from there. They will give you a much more broad and accurate picture than what the hwbot in total shows you. Overclocking is always a "YMMV" thing so what you see someone get in a review will be different from person to person even with the same exact hardware. Anyway, to each their own, I just never saw value in Hwbot results for hardware (outside of overclocking potential, which for those ambient cooled peeps, doesn't mean much - it's the fun of the game, tweaking).

Agreed on all points. At the end of the day, its all about research. Not a google search for "best". I use all of the above resources you listed AND Hwbot. Obviously, its a preference thing and an experience thing.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
what video card do you have? I could settle for 2560x1080
Who are you speaking to? Multiple of us have replied. I have a 3080, I believe brutal-force has a 1080-non-ti. EarthDog has a 3080 or 3090 I believe

MaddMutt

I believe a i9-7900x with his current setup (Quad Channel??) would be a good hold over until next year. If he de-lids it correctly (I have destroyed 3 already :tinfoil: ) he can get 4.9 all Cores with 10c/20t. Both his x99 and x299 are Quad channel setups so he would also be gaining ~ double the memory bandwidth if he has 4 x8GB installed.
Intel has already stated that by 12-25-2021 they will have a "NEW" - CPU+MB+Mem that will NOT be compatible with it's older gear. AMD is expected to follow next year with the same setup so it's up to you on how you wish to play it..