• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA775 NOT 10% oc locked...thank god

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FSBuster

Looks like the rumors about the new socket-t having a 10% oc lock is false. Turns out it's just the nb voltage. Looks like we'll be oc'ing into the next generation. Read on...

HTML:
http://www.pcekspert.com/articles/228-1.html

Myhre

The mobo manufacturers anounced a while back that they were able to top them out at 30% oc. I'll be waiting to see if anyone is able to achieve 275+fsbs with these new boards, then we'll know if it really is as "false" as that review seems to think.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
The locking down, chipset-side, is probably for a reason. I think it is twofold--engineering and sales. Intel doesn't want people buying LGA775 3.0s and crankin' 'em up to 3.8+ because it hurts sales of the higher-end CPUs.

I also think that the further locking-down may indicate that overclocking is no longer an "acceptable risk".

DanIdentity

Yeah that article's been all over the place. It's interesting, but it completely contradicts what Abit says about the lock.

ABIT’s AA8-DuraMAX & AG8 have ABIT's µGuru control the Power-on-Sequence of the board and also program the ClockGen before the Power-Good Signal is issued. Unlike other 925X and 915P boards, this process is actualized through µGuru, whereas ALL other 925X and 915P boards follow Intel's standard reference design. By designing our own unique process with µGuru, the ABIT AA8-DuraMAX & AG8 do not experience the "Intel OC Lock" and are able to OC with a consistent increase of 30%-40%.

If there's no OC lock, why would Abit "control the Power-on-Sequence and the ClockGen"?

http://www.abit-usa.com/news/2004/20040701.php

Myhre

Yeah, having this article so easily dismiss something that manufacturers and reviewers alike have been so vocal about for the past month or so is pretty hard to swallow. I'll know once I get my hands on one of these boards myself.

situman

anyone noticed the lack of a pci express lock? how come no one mentions that? Or even the lack of a lock on the Abit Duramax. I think that problem is more discerning

Myhre

Come to think of it....I'm not concerned about ay of it. I won't upgrade until the next round. 2 decent 478 systems are plenty fun for me atm. I would rather keep my 478 that I can tweak and retweak to my hearts content rather then get a 775 that has pcie so that I can just get higher 3dmark scores. Don't get me wrong, I like being a competitor in the benchmarks just as much as anyone, but there is a difference in being competitive and just going out and buying the newest bling.

situman

true that, until something that comes out abd brings my system to its knees, i will wait.

beau_zo_brehm

FSBuster said:
Looks like the rumors about the new socket-t having a 10% oc lock is false. Turns out it's just the nb voltage. Looks like we'll be oc'ing into the next generation. Read on...

HTML:
http://www.pcekspert.com/articles/228-1.html

yay, im gettin one of those for my rig im gonna build next week!

(i feel like i've been sayin "next week" for a month.... o wait i have! im movin into a new house and dont want to start until i get moved in, and the builders keep screwin stuff up to delay the move in, but we're closin on it friday!!!! so ill deffinetly build it next week)

Myhre

beau_zo_brehm said:
yay, im gettin one of those for my rig im gonna build next week!

(i feel like i've been sayin "next week" for a month.... o wait i have! im movin into a new house and dont want to start until i get moved in, and the builders keep screwin stuff up to delay the move in, but we're closin on it friday!!!! so ill deffinetly build it next week)

So your going to be using a 6800 or a x800 pcie card and ddr2? That's the only reason I could forsee anyone moving over to lga775 right now. And that's the only reason that I could see someone putting up with a prescott. I really don't understand why people are excited about the new stuff right now. I personally think the lga775 prescotts are going to be short lived. I also think P5's will be the next thing, but all I offer for that is speculation. I guess I can understand someone shelling out the money for a complete set if they didn't have a decent system at all. But personally I would wait, and wait some more. I know anytime I jump at something brand new I always regret it when something else comes out within months that completely blows my hard earned money away. But that's just me.

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
Captain Newbie said:
Intel doesn't want people buying LGA775 3.0s and crankin' 'em up to 3.8+ because it hurts sales of the higher-end CPUs.

do you really think that ANY of the overclocking we do has ANY real world effect on Intels sales?

if anything, i'm sure they did it partially as a favour to the MOBO manufacturers who would be the ones bearing the brunt of the RMA dilemma that may ensue with thousands of burnt out boards.

Myhre

hUMANbEATbOX said:
do you really think that ANY of the overclocking we do has ANY real world effect on Intels sales?

if anything, i'm sure they did it partially as a favour to the MOBO manufacturers who would be the ones bearing the brunt of the RMA dilemma that may ensue with thousands of burnt out boards.

Agreed

I know for a fact that overclocking a Prescott can lead to board failure just from the power regulators being overloaded. It can also cause PSU failure, although I havn't quite figured out how yet....I just know that my rig is killing my PSU's

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
hUMANbEATbOX said:

Assuming that people did the right thing and didn't RMA stuff that they broke...that wouldn't be an issue.

FIZZ3

Since there aren't any real benefits to be had from LGA775 at this time, the natural strategy seems to wait comfortably until benefits do materialize and until NB lock and unlocked PCI-Express hazards are cleared.

HardOCP posted yesterday that they did not fully agree with the article mentioned above and that they 'are working with Abit' on the issue. The final verdicts hasn't been reached yet.