• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Light bleed issue with new monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

On_Point

Hi guys I recently bought a Samsung CFG73 27" curved gaming monitor. It's the only monitor I have bought in a long time because I been using a 32" LCD tv for a monitor for many years now. This is also the first time I have tried 144hz and display port. From the start I noticed videos on YouTube, especially at like 480p looked way more pixelated than with my LCD tv. And it seemed like I could notice the frames more than on the tv.

On the plus side the games actually looked great once I configured some settings and got freesync/gsync working. That is until I was palying in the dark and I noticed this glow around the edges...and once the screen was suppose to be compley dark it was way more noticable and wasn't just the edges.

Does anyone know about this monitor or any of the issue I mentioned. I don't know if I should try to get it exchanged, I mean just the decrease in video quality is putting me off.
I thought going from LCD to LED would be a step up. And I could have got a larger LCD for like half the cost of this. :cry:

I took some photos of the lightbleed issue. The other issue is pretty hard to capture in a photo because it's mainly noticeable due to movement.
If anyone knows about monitors please have a look and let me know what I should do. :confused:

IMG_20190801_214043.jpg IMG_20190801_214104.jpg

That could be from the nature of being a curved monitor and being roughly handled during shipping. What causes this issue is typically bending of the monitor frame.

I use a 40" LED flat screen tv as a monitor. I can't imagine going smaller honestly.

If it's brand new you should work the screen in. Do a pixel check too. After a week or so of heating up and cooling down then see what it does. If it's new and the issue still exists then go for a replacement.
I spilled water on my $600 (screen replacement cost) T/S tablet and the screen developed a spot in the corner that thankfully wasn't too big to stop me using it but was a concern. Swear to god after a week or two it completely disappeared. My TV has some weird bleed effects too that seemed to have developed over time but nothing like what you picture. Even one of the hdmi ports gives me a weird green line on the picture if I use it. TG there's like 6 ports.

Thanks for the replies. I have had the screen for like two weeks now and only started to notice the issues over time.
I have never owned a QLED or curved monitor before. This is why I was wondering if this was normal.
So do you think I should ask for a replacement? I don't know if this is an issue with this particular monitor either.
If that's the case I would rather get a different monitor...
Any advice would be appreciated. :thup:

@ShrimpBrime
I have no idea how you use a 40" as a monitor lol
Do you have neck issues yet? :D

Last edited:
40" 1080p monitor that is arms length away would make me ill... I can count the pixels,... no thanks. :)

I also have never heard of the curve causing this issue... that doesn't make sense at all to me (from what little I know).

Lightbleed is pretty common in nearly all monitors. I can put up a black screen on any one of my monitors and see some of this. Some are worse than others.

You say you need to contact the seller... was this used?

Is the monitor calibrated?

I meant to say contact the retailer...just so used to shopping online lol
The default calibration was bad...the brightness was 100% I turned it down to 70%
I left "Contrast" at 75 and "Sharpness" at 64 and changed the "Black Equalizer" to 20 (max) which gave darker blacks.

Under colour settings there are 3 "Gamma Modes" but I don't really notice the difference.
I left R, G, B all at 50. I tried cranking those up to 100 once but it made the white things too bright and dark things too dark, which killed a lot of detail in games.
Also do you know why YouTube videos looked worse than on my 8-year-old LCD TV? :screwy:

Found a site with 1 icm profile for the 24'' model here: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#the_database
Direct link: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/samsung_C24FG73_user.icm
Basically it's Gamma 1, Brightness 20, Contrast 75, R 46, G 46, B 54
It's a user uploaded icm but if you play around with it you can make your own and save it.
Right click to install.
Down DisplayProfile.exe from here: https://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/d/displayprofile-freeware-for-windows
Then open it and choose the one you installed previous.
I just found 3 more for mine:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have had the screen for like two weeks now and only started to notice the issues over time.
I have never owned a QLED or curved monitor before. This is why I was wondering if this was normal.
So do you think I should ask for a replacement? I don't know if this is an issue with this particular monitor either.
If that's the case I would rather get a different monitor...
Any advice would be appreciated. :thup:

@ShrimpBrime
I have no idea how you use a 40" as a monitor lol
Do you have neck issues yet? :D

No neck issues. 40" isnt much larger that 32" really.
No bleed issue either....

Found a site with 1 icm profile for the 24'' model here: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#the_database
Direct link: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/samsung_C24FG73_user.icm
Basically it's Gamma 1, Brightness 20, Contrast 75, R 46, G 46, B 54
It's a user uploaded icm but if you play around with it you can make your own and save it.
Right click to install.
Down DisplayProfile.exe from here: https://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/d/displayprofile-freeware-for-windows
Then open it and choose the one you installed previous.
I just found 3 more for mine:D

Ah nice one! But I have no idea how that program works. It just gives me a list of displays but I can't do anything. If I click on certain ones it just gives me an error. But I can right-cick on the file and click "install"
I tried changing the monitor settings like you said but at 20% brightness the colours pretty dull. Or maybe my eyes just need to adjust.
Also do you know what the "Black Equalizer" level was for that profile?

EDIT:
My eyes seems to have adjusted to the lowered brightness. It doesn't seem too bad now.
YouTube videos still look crap compared to my old LCD tv.

Last edited:
@habbajabba
Hello? Can you tell me about that program?
Also do you know why lower resolution content, like watching YouTube videos at 480p look worse than they did on my old LCD tv?
Things look fine when the content is 1920x1080 (native resolution) but lower resolutions look far more pixelated than they should.
Could it be due to me using DP instead of HDMI? I was using HDMI witih my LCD tv, don't think it even had DP.

I can't tell you how to hook up and use the eqpt you bought and plugged in yourself. These are things you should be figuring out for yourself. Between cables, general hardware configs, drivers, os issues, 3rd party programs, background processes etc.. I would have to pretty much sit in front of it and then learn what when and how.
The displayProfile.exe is a standalone executable and really just gives you an easy way to switch profile settings without having to use the monitor's buttons on the monitor.
If you are having issues with how your display looks and/or behaves it is something that needs to be seen in person to properly diagnose. Could be a very small fix or it could require you to just know how things work a little better. I don't know from reading posts what the actual problem/s exist if any.
I use dvi to monitor and hdmi to tv. I have never used dp at all so my advice with DP is non-existent atm.

What the hell are you on about? I'm not asking how to hook up a computer monitor lool. I just wanted to know about the program you linked because it was giving me an error as I said. And I have no idea what "cables, general hardware configs, drivers, os issues, 3rd party programs, background processes" etc has to do with the issues I mentioned. This is not my first monitor and most monitors work out of the box. I have never had to worry about any of the things you mentioned to get a monitor working. Most I have had to do is adjust the minitor's own settings to my liking.

I never used icm files before, so the displayProfile is to switch between those right?
And that is different than the monitors own settings right?
Either way when I open displayProfile.exe it gives me a list and nothing really seems to happen when I right-click on any of them. Heres a pic of what it looks like.

dProfile.jpg

Either way I found out the pixelation on lower resolution videos is due to the pixel density of the screen. The density must be lower than the LDD screens I had in the past. This is why it looks fine at the native 1080p but looks blocky on lower resolution videos.
And the reason for using DP is to get more than 60Hz. This monitor supports 144hzs and if I use HDMI it will limit it to 60Hz

I am using the R,G,B, Gamma & Contrast settings you gave me and things look pretty nice overall. There are another 2 settings on the monitor whcih you didn't mention, one is "Black Equalizer" and the other is "Sharpness"
I set the Black Equalizer to 20 which is the max beucase that seems to give darker blacks. And I left sharpness on 64 which was the default.

Back