• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Like beige boxes? Post your legacy box pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not the best pic but here's an old MMX166 I was OC'ing for a HWBot competition.

image_id_1456752.jpeg

This is one that I rescued from a trash heap. It had some surprises inside. And the case is going on the chopping table for my next modding project because it has some really nice detachable drive cages and plenty of room. I didnt look at what it is at the time, and its packed away until modding begines, but here are some pics...

IMG_20160428_070659977_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160428_070743733.jpg
IMG_20160428_070753193.jpg
IMG_20160428_070810738.jpg
hmm? are these hand drilled? someone must have been modding this guy before I found it.... lets see whats in there..

IMG_20160428_070832678.jpg
IMG_20160428_070841798.jpg
oooh pretty! water cooling and a decent board?!?! sweet! what else is in there?

IMG_20160428_070847651.jpg
Diablotek? Eeeeew! :)

All in all I grabbed 8gb Pny DDR3 a 1TB drive and an old C2D from this rig -- oh and the case and cooler too. Board was shot though. I already had a C2D in a similar clock speed, but what the hell Ill take it :)

Not the best pic but here's an old MMX166 I was OC'ing for a HWBot competition.

:thup: 'twas king back in the day.

All in all I grabbed 8gb Pny DDR3 a 1TB drive and an old C2D from this rig -- oh and the case and cooler too. Board was shot though. I already had a C2D in a similar clock speed, but what the hell Ill take it :)
Nice catch! :)

More Beige:

A Chenming full tower

DSCN1487.JPG

A no name server case, housing a 4x 8800GT folding machine

dscn1335.jpg

My Windows 98 retro gaming machine, a Micron Millenia MXE, Pentium MMX 200mhz, 64MB RAM, circa 1996? Grandfather who taught me pretty much everything about computers when I was younger gave it to me, (with the matching CRT which still works but I dont have enough desk space) I remember playing Duke Nukem 3d, Doom, among other things on it in the late 90s/early 00s (I was like 5 years old XD)

Put in the 5.25 floppy drive, and an ATI Rage Xpert 128. Tried a USB card and it just didn't POST with it at all installed lol. Zip drive has the click of death as well :*(
I also put in a 32GB SATA SSD via a PCI Raid card which supports Windows 98. Works perfectly. Mobo is a M55 Hi-Plus iirc

Note the pen marks on the reset button lmao

qBhEpmk.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it for sentimental nostalgia, but my dream vintage PC is a IBM PS/2 Model 80

Last edited:
One beige box from about 2000 to 2001, this was home to my Abit SE6 and Celeron 566 that was usually running at 850 MHz.

beige box 2002.jpg

My Windows 98 retro gaming machine, a Micron Millenia MXE, Pentium MMX 200mhz, 64MB RAM, circa 1996? Grandfather who taught me pretty much everything about computers when I was younger gave it to me, (with the matching CRT which still works but I dont have enough desk space) I remember playing Duke Nukem 3d, Doom, among other things on it in the late 90s/early 00s (I was like 5 years old XD)

Put in the 5.25 floppy drive, and an ATI Rage Xpert 128. Tried a USB card and it just didn't POST with it at all installed lol. Zip drive has the click of death as well :*(
I also put in a 32GB SATA SSD via a PCI Raid card which supports Windows 98. Works perfectly. Mobo is a M55 Hi-Plus iirc

Note the pen marks on the reset button lmao

I'm pretty happy with it for sentimental nostalgia, but my dream vintage PC is a IBM PS/2 Model 80

I inherited a 486dx-33, 8mb ram, 540mb hdd with Windows 3.1(I believe), I enjoyed playing with it for a while. I wanted to put an appropriate Linux install on it, talked about it here.

I absolutely to this day could kick myself for letting it go to e-waste. :( I never felt that bad, even with my [last couple] divorces.

486dx-33.jpg

Here's one of my beige boxes. Even though the case is an old Antec full tower, the computer inside is fairly modern. This currently houses my i5 4670K & RX 480. When I got the case it had a 1st gen P4 & Intel motherboard with RDRAM.

100_0633.JPG

100_0634.JPG

100_0636.JPG

Here's one of my beige boxes. Even though the case is an old Antec full tower, the computer inside is fairly modern. This currently houses my i5 4670K & RX 480. When I got the case it had a 1st gen P4 & Intel motherboard with RDRAM.

Nice old school with new innards! The 1st gen P4 & Intel motherboard with RDRAM, that was a socket 423?

My first(all new) build was a skt 423, still have it.

intel-423.jpg

everything original, except for the dust and wire mess.

423board.jpg

One beige box from about 2000 to 2001, this was home to my Abit SE6 and Celeron 566 that was usually running at 850 MHz.

I had a case alot like that one, had a celeron2 633mhz that I...gosh, this story is going to get looong....didn't need it anymore, burned up the [used] Amptron motherboard it was in. I didn't intentionally OC it, just had not changed the jumpers(or, where they dipswitches?) Anyway, it was running at 900mhz....for a short while. Sold it, my first Heatware transaction. ;)

The board is s478 with a 2.0GHz pentium, so I guess that means it's a 2nd gen. lol I had to find it to verify the socket.

I also have an old Dell s423 (Dell brown/silver, not beige), but the CPU is long gone. It has a Power Leap s423->s478 converter in it & a 2.4A CPU. I used that PC a long time despite it being a Dell.

The board is s478 with a 2.0GHz pentium, so I guess that means it's a 2nd gen. lol I had to find it to verify the socket.

I also have an old Dell s423 (Dell brown/silver, not beige), but the CPU is long gone. It has a Power Leap s423->s478 converter in it & a 2.4A CPU. I used that PC a long time despite it being a Dell.

The socket 423 was a short lived, dead end platform which made me regret that I hadn't known about the s478 earlier. I had thought about getting a s423->s478 converter , but ended up getting 'bit' by the AMD bug. ;)

When I decided to finally build a PC after the Dell I went back & forth for a long while, and the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe was at the top of my list. That was the AMD mobo to have at the time. But I ended up with the Abit AI-7 Intel instead because I could 'save money' & use my 2.4A from the socket converter. Next thing you know I'm buying a 3.2C so I could get Hyperthreading & a higher FSB & a better overclock & on & on & on. lol

Oh my god, that was the same exact case I built my first gaming pc in. It was a AMD k6-2 500mhz overclocked to 533mhz with a TNT2 ultra, I remember playing kingpin, Tribes 2, redline and half life!

Back