• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lindows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Superman

I saw somewhere about some operating system called Lindows and how M$ wasn't to happy because it could run some of their programs like office and, other windows based programs. My question is if anyone else has heard about it and, what does it run like? In other words is it any good. If anyone knows what I'm talking about reply, and tell me what you think about it. Thanks.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Ive heard about it some. Its supposed to be a real close match to M$. Do a search on google and their website should pop up.
I personally havent messed with it but am tempted to give it a try.

Omega Destroyer

go to www.lindows.com
They claim that they're better than windows, and Microsoft is wrong for charging to operating system licences, but at the same time, it's not like they're giving it away for free. Plus you can expect it to be bad, because developing a high level operating system like windows, and all the easy to use features leaves a lot of room for secuirity comprimises. Microsoft (although not perfect), does a pretty good job and covering these, and based on all the previous editions of windows, it learned of many potential ways security could be comprimised. Lindows doesn't have that experience, and it takes more than just spite to develope an O/S. Ever since win2k and winXP came out, I must say I have really developed a liking for Microsoft (go ahead call me an idiot), but you must realize just how hard it is to create and O/S and synchronize the programming of a 1000 people into one program, and still make it work.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I found it very unstable and couldn't get it to run even simple EXEs, which they claim is possible out of the box.

The latest revision may have improved things but I can't say I was impressed in the least by it...it was gone after about 2 hours of nothing but trouble.

OP
S

Superman

It sounds like I'm going to stay with M$. It sounds like Lindows won't be able to run anything.

funnyperson1

yeah, ill stick with dualboot of RH8 and Windows....though i keep formatting so my Windows Version is always changing lol

XWRed1

Linux is the wrong place to look for a free Windows. Windows is the best thing at being Windows, and part of being Windows includes running Windows programs.

willlangford

thanks! i was waiting for someone to say that. i know a guy that works on are tech team...and he hasnt gotton out of the tweaking stage of computers..and for school and teachers he wants them to use linux with an emulater. i mean hes just a ****ing ******* who doesnt know a god damn thing.

sorry about the stars..but i needed to get that out.

~will

OC Noob

So I guess $99 for the OS and 2 years of the click-and-run isn't such a hot deal then heh?

Has anyone used 2.0? What kind of experience did you have?

Has anyone had good experiences with Lindows?

I hate that registration BS M$ started with XP and it would sure be nice to have an alternative OS. One that you don't have to be a programer to use and is compatible with 90%+ of the hardware/software for PCs.

For 99% of PC users Linux just isn't an option (I could be wrong about redhat, but based on the number of PC Novices using it I doubt it).

Maybe having a choice of quality, user friendly operating systems is asking too much.

XWRed1

Microsoft doesn't require you to register WindowsXP, afaik its the same registration policy that its always been, you register if you want to.

OC Noob

I don't mind breaking the licence by installing an OS on more then 1 computer, but I'm not going to get a warez/haked copy, nor will I be getting the corprate version. So if I got it, which I won't, it would require registration, by modem or over the phone.

Jon

It can be downloaded for free...the membership to do so costs $99 though.

Unless I missed something on their site, that is. I see no information leading to an absolutely free download of it.

Jon

Not that I've seen, although it would make sense for them to do so considering it is basically still a linux kernel.

eab

For $200 dollars you can get a copy of lindows, a year of click and run, and a cheap really bad computer from walmart.

I took a look at that click and run warehouse, most of the software you could download for free anyware on the web.