• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Line not used at full potential ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

OK, both my comps are connected together using a good router/gateway (Linksys something), good CAT5e cable (not too long, less than 30 feet in total), two (possibly) good NICs, but my transfer rates between one another is slow (20% of the entire line, about 2.5MB per second, instead of somewhere near 10-12MB per second). I said possibly, cuz one of the cards I know is good, cuz it came with the DSL package, but the other one was with the comp when we bought it, so I have no info on it. Anyways, is there any way to accelerate transfer rates between the two comps ? And what might be causing that slow transfer ? My comp's specs are in the profile, and the other one is a P3 900MHz (for complete specs, look for Hewlett Packard Pavilion 8766c, add 64 MB of ram to it, and change the CD-RW for a 8x4x32). Also, the Compaq (the K6-2)'s running Windows 2000, and the HP's running WinXP

DanFraser

With those slow speeds, I would say one of your drives is just not fast enough to keep up with the data requests (reading/writing)

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
What kinds of speeds are you talking about? How many MB/minute aprox.?

10Mbit/s = 1.5MBytes/second = 75 MBytes/minute
100Mbit/s = 15MBytes/second = 750 MBytes/minute
(those are theoretical boundries, you should get about 80% of that, depending on your network)

If you have any 10Mb NICs (which I don't think you do), or a 10Mb hub/switch (which I don't think you do), then you'll have a 10Mbit link.

Other than that, slow processors can't crunch too much.. my 200Mhz K6-2 can copy about 6Mbits/s maximum (on the 100Mbit connection, with a 100Mbit NIC).

One thing you can do to speed things up is to remove any protocols you aren't using.

WildArmSX

It would be a great idea to uninstall unused protocols such as IPX and NetBUI for these will casue a little more traffic ont eh network. Since you have a Router the you will only have roughly 70% of the Bandwidth avaiable to you due to how the Router makes it forwarding descision. Pls don't take this the wrong way a router is a great thing to use and i am not in anyway try to make you switch.

su root

When you are transfering, is one or both of the hard drive lights "REALLY" chugging? This will tell us if it's one of the hard drives that is slowing it down.

check that for now, anyway.. there's another thread here:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1162664
.. it's on the same topic... i think i have a couple machines here that are doing that too... i'm gonna do some research and see if I can't find a solution. My original thought was that the cause was because of Win9xME <==> Win2k/XP OS transfers.. but you are running Win2k <==> Win2k

And the using a DSL router won't make much of a difference.. the switch will attempt to switch the packet first, before it tries routing it. The 70% figure is for full-blown routers, and not for simple DSL routers.. (DSL routers are basically switches + NAT anyway)

Last edited:

su root

OK I did a bit of research. On most NIC drivers, it allows you to change the duplex settings of your card. Try setting both cards to 100Mbits/Full Duplex. To do this, go into the properties of your NIC in device manager, and one of the advanced options should let you change the Duplexity.

Also, are you using "soft" patch cables, or "hard" vertical cables? apparently the soft ones don't like to run at 100Mbits for more than like 8 feet or so.. (that's heresay)

OP
M

minoukat

OK, got it, now it works at about 40-45% of the line, but it's not a stable speed (it goes fast, slows down, fastens up again, slows down again, ...).

Also, the cable is pretty stiff, donno if you'd consider it soft or hard though

su root

yeah, i tried that on my systems here (that were having the same problem), it seemed to fix it. On the small network here, it's 3 comptuers via a hub, plus a cable modem. The cable modem here runs @ 10Mbits, and since it's hubbed, the fastest the network can go is 10Mbits. I set all the machines @ 100Mbits/half, but they will only achieve 10Mbits max (kuz the modem needs to hear all traffic, and it can only listen @ 10)

I also used a RWIN fix on both machines from www.dslreports.com