• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Link me a decent used ebay SATA optical drive or get IDE to SATA data adapter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blahcomp222

Registered
My motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128715
has no IDE. I was just about to format windows 8.1 to my new i7-4790K build.
I want to DBAN and wipe my existing IDE HDD before recycling it, so I'll have to do that with my current machine I'm typing this with then I'll take the GPU and PSU out and put it in the new case build and format windows to my new SATA SSD. Hope it goes well because I won't have this HDD to fall back on. I have everything backed up on external though but it should be fine. I formatted so many times before. I don't want to take the PSU and GPU out of the new build after the format goes well just to set up the old machine to DBAN the old HDD.

anyway, I have a SATA Optical drive I'm borrowing from another PC in the house to install windows on just for now. I can make a thumb drive of windows 8.1 and the LAN driver if needed and not need the optical but I'll need optical eventually and I don't think I even have a thumb drive or feel safe putting something like the OS on one because I don't know if they have malware or something from the past on them as.

I dont think an IDE to SATA data adapter will come in handy in the future though like to read another IDE HDD I probably won't need to and if I do, I would need the special USB kit because windows would only read the drive(s) associated with the current format.

It's only like $3 if I can use this following adapter and somehow route the USB from internal the case to outside of it and plug it in the back

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-...968?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adb474cf8

or just use the adapter I need from this $5 combo?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Popular-New...429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e823e27fd

but,
I can probably get a whole new SATA DVD CD and burner for $20 shipped. And I can probably after fees and shipping get $8 for my current IDE optical on ebay making the cost of a new optical vs an adapter for the existing one only about $7 more for a faster new optical. I don't even really care about optical speed though because I almost never use it.

So question is, sort of stupid, but if I buy a used internal SATA optical, is there anyway there could be some sort of sophisticated malware hack built into it by some sicko? Or is an optical always ok? If ok, please link from ebay a used optical Buy It Now if it's justifiably cheaper than a new one. Or just link a new optical. All I need is CD DVD and to burn CD or DVD. No blue ray. Thanks.

jusT buy new as you won't get a great deal used with shipping Anyway.

Throw yours away... Not worth the hassle.to sell it, to me.

If you almost never use it, I would get a USB optical drive. I found mine for like $25, and It doesn't take up a 5 1/4" bay, and I can hide it in a drawer when I'm not using it.

Use of a PATA to SATA data adapter introduces another component that can fail. I've used those things and they have a tendency to die before long. Neither do they work well with optical drives because of timing issues.

Back