• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linksys wireless router keeps making me lose points!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lets get some specifics:
What model # router?
What model cable modem?
DHCP assigned by router or modem?
When the router needs to be recycled have all computers lost connection?
(ie do the basement comps still connect to each other via the switch? Do the upstairs comps still connect to each other?)
When the router goes out to lunch (OTL) can you access the setup page? (192.168.1.1)

It could be bad router, bad cabling or bad nic crashing the router.
Can you borrow a friends router (or purchase/return one) and see if the problem persists?

You could run an ethernet cable from the switch in the basement to the router and eliminate the network sharing comp and wireless conn as an issue. If the problem stops then look closer at those.

Cheap router here: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=302193&pfp=BROWSE
get the updated firmware here

Cheap G wireless router here (no rebates):
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mes...readid=333706&highlight_key=y&keyword1=router
My Sears still had em yesterday, but for $29.

I have a similar setup - Moto 4100 Surfboard modem -> Linky BEFW 5 (?)port router/wap -> 3 wireless laptops, 1 wired comp and a linky 8 port switch. 10/100baset linky switch -> 6 computers and an old (1995- 10base-2 thinnet/10base-t baby!) 3com 8 port hub ->4 computers. My biggest problem is kids tripping over the cabling!

Last edited:
squirrel said:
Lets get some specifics:
What model # router?
What model cable modem?
DHCP assigned by router or modem?
When the router needs to be recycled have all computers lost connection?
(ie do the basement comps still connect to each other via the switch? Do the upstairs comps still connect to each other?)
When the router goes out to lunch (OTL) can you access the setup page? (192.168.1.1)

It could be bad router, bad cabling or bad nic crashing the router.
Can you borrow a friends router (or purchase/return one) and see if the problem persists?

You could run an ethernet cable from the switch in the basement to the router and eliminate the network sharing comp and wireless conn as an issue. If the problem stops then look closer at those.

Cheap router here: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=302193&pfp=BROWSE
get the updated firmware here

Cheap G wireless router here (no rebates):
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mes...readid=333706&highlight_key=y&keyword1=router
My Sears still had em yesterday, but for $29.

I have a similar setup - Moto 4100 Surfboard modem -> Linky BEFW 5 (?)port router/wap -> 3 wireless laptops, 1 wired comp and a linky 8 port switch. 10/100baset linky switch -> 6 computers and an old (1995- 10base-2 thinnet/10base-t baby!) 3com 8 port hub ->4 computers. My biggest problem is kids tripping over the cabling!

The cable modem is a Motorolla something or other. The router is a Linksys BEFWxxx S4. DHCP is assigned by the router. When the router goes tits up, all computers lose internet connection. I can connect from one machine to another if they are on the same hub/switch, but none of them get an IP. Also, I am unable to connect to the routers setup page. I don't have a cable long enough (and I don't want to) to run a cable from the router on the second floor to the wireless stuff in the basement. If I did, I wouldn't be messing with all this wireless nonesense as it is. Anyone else have any ideas?

Cable modem model is a Toshiba PCX110U
Router model is Linksys BEFW11S4 4 port wireless B
Router gets DHCP from modem and then assigns it to the machines (hey I fold not a network engineer)

when it goes tits up and can't see anything anywhere I get a funky IP and i can't get into the routers settings @ all. this is the second modem I have had the pervious one was RMAd for this very problem. I have 2 machines hardwired to the router and 1 wireless laptop not 6 foot away. have yet to see what would happen by takeing the wireless out of the loop, but I need the wireless for mobility purposes.

the way i know it is crapping out is by EMIII goes red on all, but the machine it is running on. no double clicking will bring them back on a hard reset of the router

is there a chance this could be something to do with EMIII or FAH? These are the only programs I have running on these computers except my main machine and my wifes laptop.

I just noticed that when the router dies on me, the wireless B light isn't on. All the rest of them are on, but that one goes out. As soon as I power cycle it, it comes back on. Anyone think this may be fixable by setting some of those wireless parameters to something other than the stock settings?

Posidon42 said:
is there a chance this could be something to do with EMIII or FAH? These are the only programs I have running on these computers except my main machine and my wifes laptop.

Possible but not likely. Many more people would be having this problem if either were at fault.

To check if either is the problem:
Shut down EMIII and see if the router still dies. If it doesnt then problem solved.

If it dies again then shut down FAH and wait. Again, prob identified if that fixes it.

You could run 2 instances of F@H per machine.

Each work unit will take twice as long to complete, but the probability of both WU's completing before resetting the router is real slim.

Not a bad fix until your router isseus are worked out or replaced. At least this way you wont be losing points when internet connection goes out to lunch.

Posidon42 said:
.... I don't have a cable long enough (and I don't want to) to run a cable from the router on the second floor to the wireless stuff in the basement. If I did, I wouldn't be messing with all this wireless nonesense as it is. Anyone else have any ideas?

Running an ethernet cable from the switch to the router would be very useful. It could isolate the problem to:
1. The wireless portion of the router
2. The internet connection sharing software (ICS or Sygate)
or
3. The wireless card.

Likewise for swapping out the router for a known good one.

Here is the lesson to be learned from this thread: DO NOT BUY LINKSYS PRODUCTS! They only make shabby excuses for routers and they always fail. I myself have a regular Linksys which takes forever to reconnect my computers to the internet when I have to unplug and replug my modem or router. Where as my friends router automatically works if it is unhooked then rehooked up for any amount of time. Do yourself a favor and buy a Dlink.

Again, this problem didn't get this bad until I added a few more machines two weeks ago. When it works, everything works. When it doesn't work, the only thing that doesn't work is this wireless router. The switch in the basement works fine because I can still get from one computer to the other as long as they are on the same hub/switch. I am 99% positive the problem is in the router, I just don't know how to fix it. Especially since there are others here with the exact same router with the exact same problem. And I am not going to go to a store and buy a router just for diagnostic purposes only to return the router. I consider that immoral. So - all I want to know is how to get this stupid router to function like it is supposed to. I am sure there are people/businesses using this thing that don't have this problem and have a LOT more computers connected to the router than I do.

One other thing I notice is it seems to kick off every time the IP changes from my ISP. My ISP has a 24 IP lease and every time that is up, my connection dies. This may have something to do with the problem, it may not. Currently the router is set to automatically obtain the IP from the cable modem, but some times it works and some times it doesn't. Stupid router...

What software do you use on the bridge computer (the one between the switch that and the wireless)
I've been assuming Win ICS

yeah, but this is kinda moot right now. Due to my immensely large power bill that came in this month, my folding farm is currently offline and disassembled.

well, all of my computers are now disconnected except my main machine and the two wireless laptops and it is STILL locking up once a day. Anyone else have any thoughts?

posidon, id just buy the same model at bestbuy, and see if it works. if it does, yours is probabby just starting to take a dump. id rma yours, and just hold on to the one from BB until yours comes back. then return the one back to BB

I thought about that, but I can't RMA mine anymore because I don't have the original receipt. And because I am an ethical overclocker :D I don't want to just buy one from BB and give them back the broken one even though they are the exact same model. Looks like I have two options:

1) - deal with the current stupid semifunctional one
2) - buy a new one and hope the problems don't continue

i never said give them back the broken one :D

try using some modded firmware, maybe ones that increase the signal db. id go consult with mr.google, it can't hurt

Back